Camera doesn't shoot

bwlergh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just upgraded from a garden variety digital camera to my first DSLR, Nikon D80.

The camera does not seem to be shooting in any other mode but Manual (and does not take photos when the flash is popped open even in manual).

The auto mode is pretty self explanatory and is just pretty much point and shoot. The camera seems to focus but does not take photos.

Could there be a reason for this other than a manufacturing error?

when you look down the viewfinder and hold down the shutter halfway (activating auto focus) do any of the numbers blink on and off?

that means that the camera has detected that there is not enough light for a properly exposed shot and it is trying to use a larger aperture (to let in more light) but it is already at its largest (remember large aperture means smaller fnumber).
Even with flash on it will keep on being a pain - this is true for modes like aperture and shutter priority -- in full manual mode it won't stop you.
Look at your exposure slider and chances are its currently showing a lot to one side - indecating underexposure of the shot.

I'll give it a go in better lighting tomorrow morning, see if improves. Thanks.

yep - it should focus and work well in better lighting - I take it it is night where you currently are?
If so some good bedtime reading is your camera manual - read up on aperture priority mode - good place to start learing with manual modes

Figured out what was wrong with it. The body was not reading the fact that the lens was attached (even though it was).

I feel extremely silly.

didn't turn it all the way round then?
or was it dirty contacts?

either way glad you found out the problem :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back