camera dreams

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by montresor, Feb 20, 2007.

1. montresor

montresor TPF Noob!

Anyone ever have camera dreams? Are your nighttime hours haunted by cameras you lust for, cameras you once had, cameras that behave in weird, anthropomorphic ways?

When I first discovered Speed Graphics but hadn't yet handled one in the flesh, I read everything I could about them, wanted one (or more) so badly it became something of an obsession. They just seemed so amazingly cool, the way they were designed, the intuitive layout. I began having dreams about using them. Sometimes technical dreams, playing with the camera itself, sometimes dreams of going out and taking lots of Walker Evans-esque urban decay stuff with one. The strange thing is that when I finally got one, I found that I already knew how to use it; my dreams of using one had been, apparently, quite accurate.

Startling thing, the subconscious.

2. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

Nope, my dreams of owning Linhofs, shelves full of Pentax medium format gear, new Nikon rangefinders etc, occur when I'm conscious during the daytime. I wish my unconscious dreams were that straightforward!

Photographic dreams though? What would Freud say? Not sure but he probably wouldn't accept that you just really like cameras :lol:

3. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Not really about cameras but I have had dreams about days/times that are completely devoted to photography... I once had a dream that I actually finished the photography technology degree from my local college. I then ended up driving cross the country in an RV doing nothing but documenting life here in the US. Living as a transient with a camera...

I guess holding down two IT jobs, a newborn, and life in general does that to yah... Once things settle down, I"m going to take that trip!

4. Dougie

Dougie TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a dream of being a top photographer, as always. I got my Canon EOS-350D last summer and it was in my head all the time, what I wanted to do, everything I saw, I saw it from a photogenic point of view. Does that count?

5. astrostu

astrostu Guest

I dream more about astrophotography, just sitting at the telescope for nights on end while I make my friend wait for me to finish.

6. Aquarium Dreams

Aquarium Dreams TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow, montresor! That's really cool that you essentially learned how to use the LF camera in your dreams! I've had similiar experiences, but nothing quite as useful. Talk about making the most of your off time.

I have dreams of wandering through abandoned buildings, which is one of my favorite subjects. Other than that, my photography dreams haven't been too memorable.

I also really liked the photography game, "Fatal Frame." Video games turned out to be a bad thing for me. Our love affair was brief but all-consuming.

7. Mr. Bananagrabber

Mr. Bananagrabber TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    the past three nights ive dreamed of the nikon D-80, before that it was of paintball gear. I had a dream about owning an E-MAG for almost a week! im an uber nerd! :geek:

8. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I must not be involved enough with photography; I still dream about women.

9. DSLR noob

DSLR noob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I dream about my XT randomly being an EOS 1Ds nIII (not even out yet) and all of the L-series glass canon has made for it, as well as a carbon fiber tripod, a Speedlight 580EX, an assortment of filters, and a small studio. The ultimate canon setup.

EDIT: Oh and a brand new, fully optioned iMac with CS3, Aperture, and tons of HD space both internal and external. For processing.

EDIT(again) and a 2007 Mazda Rx-8 Shinka. Just because.

10. TomHuck-wa

TomHuck-wa TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    HAHAHA traveler I'm with you. I only dream about cameras when awake, then I look at the credit card balance after the 5D and lenses, and that bursts my bubble.

11. manfromh

manfromh TPF Noob!

I've had dreams of my cameras breaking while shooting. It feels good to wake up after such a dream.

12. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I sometimes make my dreams come true ... afterwards I have nightmares regarding my bank account ;)

I only dreamt of a camera once, a nightmare too, since my car fell down a cliff with the camera inside... of course I just jumped right after it:lmao: