Camera Equipment for Mountain trekking

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by monicam, Mar 15, 2006.

1. monicam

monicam TPF Noob!

Any advice on choice of camera and equipment for trekking at high altitude in remote areas.

2. ceecookie

ceecookie TPF Noob!

Is it true that u need special batts to operate in freezing temperature?

3. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

The main issue with taking pictures in extreme cold and altitude relate to the temperature.

At low temperatures your batteries will pack up. Sometimes completely, to the point of being unable to turn an electronic camera on. At mega cold temperatures, your shutter will stick.

Generally in my experience, most cameras will work in temperatures which you can tolerate, however the batteries won't. The work around is to carry two or more batteries, with the active one in the camera and the spares in an intimate and warm place (I'll leave you to think that up). Trouser pockets are pretty effective. A battery will only last until it gets cold, then it'll conk out and you then swap it with one of your warm spares.

Generally, old fashioned cameras are better at lasting extreme temperatures. Also generally, fully manual SLR cameras are better than digital. However, it's not very likely you'll have a choice in which camera to take, so keep those batteries warm whatever you are doing.

Avoid exposing your camera and lenses to sudden and large changes of temperature - at best you'll get condensation and at worst you'll risk permanent damage.

Rob

4. 'Daniel'

'Daniel' TPF Noob!

5. monicam

monicam TPF Noob!

thank you very much for the advice, I will take this to prevent any unexpected matter would possibly happened specially to my cameras..

and oh..I hope other's may share their experiences in taking shots in the monotonous regions.

Your suggestions are highly appreciated..thnx in advance,,