Camera equipment in cargo hold of plane

I agree with 964, insurance is definitely worth the peace of mind. I would still put up a fight to keep my gear with me at all times...but if anything does get broken or stolen...I won't get stuck with the full replacement costs.

My oldest daughter works for an airlines and is a baggage handler. I hear all the horror stories from dead animals to broken this and that. I myself would never put my camera equipment in checked baggage unless it was in a Pelican hardcase with a foam liner and insured.

We use Pelican cases at work for putting some pretty sensitive equipment in and they bounce around in fire engines all day long, seven days a week, 24 hours a day and they work fine. I have been very impressed with them. As far as baggage handlers, I'm not impressed with them at all.

Insurance and a good hard case.

An interesting read as we are due to fly out to JFK in less than two weeks to read at my niece's wedding and be mainly responsible for all the non-pro wedding photos. I had intended to take my 350D plus lenses plus laptop and the usual gadgets, but now in a quandry. Have seriously thought about getting my upgrade to 30D on arrival to use as pound is good against dollar.
It is a bit special as I gave the brides mother away at her wedding so I want the equipment I am hapy with. The restrictions seem to change from airline to airline and from point of departure so we don't know what the rules are from day to day.

Fangman, getting a new camera in NY sounds like a good idea. Walk into B&H and see the mothership in its full glory.

Iron Flatline said:
Walk into B&H and see the mothership in its full glory.

I’ve only seen photos of B&H, but it looks like it occupies an entire city block… Just how big is that place?

DepthAfield said:
I’ve only seen photos of B&H, but it looks like it occupies an entire city block… Just how big is that place?

it IS almost a full city block!!
it's huge...but be prepared to spend because they carry every gadget and camera you could ever want!!:D

The airlines say that there are no effects on undeveloped film, as long as the film speed is under 800 ISO. I don't know if I'd trust that, though.

My sister's brought loads of film in her suitcases on many a travel and no harm was ever done to them by the x-rays.

Single passes of <400 ISO film through airport scanning equipment will not likely cause any damage. Multiple exposures from that scanning equipment will indeed cause problems. I haven’t flown commercially since the latest TSA imposed idiocy, but I would avoid traveling with film if at all possible.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back