Camera Film

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Ohio, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Ohio

Ohio TPF Noob!

Hi, two questions:

1. What 35mm films do you recommend for crazy, even surreal and unprdictable colors?
    Any suggestions accepted

2. I just shot a Fujichrome Velvia film and afterwords I found out the film said "Reverse color film," what excactly does this mean?

-Thanks

2. FuddyDuddy

FuddyDuddy TPF Noob!

Hello

Try cross processing slide film in C41 chemistry for high contrast intense colours . You'll get different results depending on the film. Kodak EPP would probably be a good one to start with. The films come out as negatives.

Reverse colour or reversal film simply means you have slide film. The film goes through a a reversal stage in the processing which basically changes it from negative to positive.

F. Duddy

3. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm not sure I've seen that term before. Is it print film?

You want crazy colors, buy color infrared. It's pricey as all git-out, but you can have lots of interesting results.

Don't forget, you can shoot B&W film inexpensively and try toning at home for beautiful effects you can learn to control. That's more for if you think you'll get geeked up enough to want to try developing and printing at home, but if you do - only your imagination holds you back. :) It's a beautiful thing.

4. Ohio

Ohio TPF Noob!

Is Fuji Velvia slide film?

Thank you for your replies, and excuse my stupidity on visual arts

5. JonK

JonK I want MORE!!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes Velvia is slide film. Contrasty and high saturated results. slide is also known as 'transparency' or 'colour reversal' film.

If you shoot infrared film you must place a deep red filter over your lens or the film will be ruined. There is a specific filter available.

Crazy effects on film are generally brought about by camera and light control manipulation or in-darkroom fiddling; of course now you can also use Photoshop etc.

6. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Fuji makes lovely slide film, Velvia is one, Provia, Sensia are a couple others you might like to try. I always think of slide film as "transparency", so I was brain-dead in my initial reply. :)

If you're really interested in deep saturation and special effects, you owe it to yourself to take a basic photography course and see what is available to you out there. There are dozens of different effects to try, and learning them is time consuming and a world of fun.

7. Ohio

Ohio TPF Noob!

Thank you all,

is it possible to get slide pictures on prints?

and is it possible to crossprocess normal print film? (put it in slide chemicals)

8. Jeff Canes

Jeff Canes No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes and Yes, But with crossprocess you need to find a lab that is conformable doing this type of work[font=&quot] [/font]

9. Ohio

Ohio TPF Noob!

thank you again.

New questions keep floating to my head though:

Since it's possible to get slides on print is it just normal to say "I want this on prints only," and does it not mess with the price?

Yes, I hear crossprocessing screws up the chemicals, but most labs are ok with it if you tell them to do it just before the chemicals are to be changed (usually every week).