Camera Flash - Please review my photos

cgennoe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, let me preface by saying that I love photography; I've been shooting for a few years but I am not a professional; however I volunteer at events and hope to improve my flash shooting.

Clearly, the 'smoothness' and softness of light is lacking between both images.
I shoot with Canon 5D Mark 3, and a 17-40 f4.0. A diffuser was also used over the flash.

What steps can I take to soften the image and help it look more professional; both with regards to camera controls and post processing? Or can you direct me to some helpful resources online?

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• hockey.JPG
    hockey.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 300
  • uu.JPG
    uu.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:
When you are in a fast moving situation, you have to match the light to the situation and location. You are not in a studio, with controlled lighting.
Example, I do a lot of bounce lighting. But bounce does not work shooting into a room through a doorway, as all the bounce is on your side of the door. Then you are stuck with direct flash.

BTW, what kind of diffuser were you using?

Both images look like you missed focus, which would be my first concern.

I don’t think the lighting is all that bad, composition could use some work though. First image is definitely the better of the two. Second one could be cropped in a little to get rid of that glare on the door frame, which seems to grab your attention first.

I’d focus first of fixing focusing issues and getting better with composition of a moving subject. Then you can worry about getting the lighting right.

This is what I’m talking about by cropping the second one, get rid of some of the distractions and I don’t think the image is too bad, besides the missed focus.

We’re you on AF or MF?

Attachments

• 13EC34A8-67F7-4C34-8978-2BBFEC54000A.jpeg
    13EC34A8-67F7-4C34-8978-2BBFEC54000A.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 263
What steps can I take to soften the image and help it look more professional; both with regards to camera controls and post processing? Or can you direct me to some helpful resources online?

the flash lighting looks quite soft as it is. The biggest improvement in these photos would be from composition/framing/timing/vantage.

Getting the flash off your camera would help quite a bit, and if you can, a little more diffusion on the flash. I'm thinking of a flash bracket with a cord connecting, and a small softbox diffuser on the flash.

Also, watch your backgrounds, as you don't want the other people to be in the shot. Or the door. (good crop there)

The problem isn't "harsh" light, but that it's only in the closest part of your subjects (back of the neck is a good exposure, but you want more light to be lower). The larger the diffuser you can carry around, the more even will be your light.

Lots of online help places, but start with this one: Strobist: Lighting 101: Introduction

There is a series of tutorials.

The flash is too obvious, because the background is too dark. Why don't you try to increase the ISO by a stop or two? In this case you will lighten the background while the flash will add the accent to the subject. You can try side lighting but only if you have enough time

Most reactions

Back