Camera for a Photo newb!!

Leanna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there,

I am a newbie when it comes to photography ... I've been using a Canon SD1000 but I want to take nicer pictures ... hoewver I am not ready to shell out thousands for a camera! So I was wondering if the [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXUsDrZNssw"]Fujifilm S2000[/ame] would be a good camera for me to get my feet wet?

It seems to have many advanced features and and good quality for its price ... has anyone tried this camera before? What do you think of it? Any other models that you would recommend?

Thanks!! :)

Lea

I'd avoid the fujifilm and go with the Nikon D40 for the serious beginner. It has a ton of great features that you will likely not outgrow for a long, long time. Good luck, let me know if you have any questions.

I would suggest that if you are looking to continue seriously in photography, you avoid the D40/60 because there is a substantial number of Nikon lenses that will not autofocus on those cameras. Look at the D80/90 or Canon's rebel series.

It is definitely all about your choice and everyone has their own opinion. Go with what you feel comfortable with. Also, it's not always bad to learn how to focus your own photos... I have the D40x and I'm thrilled with it! Go out and test out as many cameras as you can and don't worry, you're feet will be wet in no time!

... Look at the D80/90 or Canon's rebel series.

I second tsaraleksi's opinion.

I absolutely love my Canon Rebel XTi. It is a great camera for getting started on. I've messed around with the D40 and I believe you can get more bang for your buck with the Nikon D80/D90 or Canon XTi/XSi.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I will look into the ones you have suggested :)

We need to have a TPF law. No one suggest a camera until you find out what the person wants to do with it first. :)

Leanna (nice name...) what do you want to do with your camera? What are you interested in? Casual shots? Family stuff? Artisitc? More serious things? Close ups? Far away? Landscapes? What are you personal aspirations for photography? Just for fun? Snaps of the kids? Trying to become immortal through your artwork? Tell us more.

If you shop around, you can find some decent entry level SLRs for a good price. They don't have to be $1000s of dollars

I saw a Canon XTI dSLR with a 18-55mm lens for $650. It was used, but still not too bad.

You can also look for sales and such online.

Thanks for all of your replies ! I think I am leaning towards paying a little extra for the Canon rebel series ... just curious though, no one seems to be interested in Fujifilm here ... is there a reason for that? Or is it just because the S2000HD is not that good of a camera in itself? :p

Most reactions

Back