Camera gear for NY

aitch64

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Can't believe I'm posting this but here goes... I can't decide which camera kit to take to NY in a couple of weeks time. I will trust my digital gear to my wife (also good back up but she doesn't know it yet) but I can't decide whether to take 35 mm or 6X6 for my B&W work. Any ideas? What would you take? Is 35mm just doubling up given the advances in digital B&W printing?

Assuming the state of NY not NYCity....?

What type of pictures?

Actually, I had concluded "city" and, if that's the case, it's best to travel as light as possible. If the OP has never been there, the human traffic jams can be intimidating.

If your wife is shooting 35 digital, I would suggest you shoot 6x6. There is nothing better than a silver halide black and white print. Digital printing can't compete with that yet.

I would not take a film camera

I would go 6x6, Why bring the same format as your wife. With both you will view everything from two perspectives. What kind of camera do you shoot, Small an light will be important. Also If you are doing a lot of walking around(i don't see how you wouldn't be walking a lot in NYC) Make sure you have a secure strap and a safe non bulky bag or pack to keep extra film and backs secure.

Dear Friend,
Assuming you going to NYC, take anything, just take something. If you feel you are missing something and you are located near 34st you go to B&H and get what you need. If you around 17st, then you go to Adorama. If you in Brooklyn, then you go to Focus Camera and once again you get what you are missing.
:lol::thumbup:

Shooting a square format in any of the 5 Boroughs is tough. Mostly because it is a vertical city.

Bring all the gear. You will need it at different times and for different environments. Do not worry about maneuverability. The people of NY are used to photographers.

Love & Bass

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back