Camera Gear Insurance

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by phototrek, Aug 22, 2010.

1. phototrek

phototrek TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi Guys,

I would like to know if anybody on this forum has insurance against someone stealing your camera gear. I know that homeowners insurance protects items stolen out of your house but I am talking about someone stealing it when you are outside your house.

2. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Does your auto policy cover items stolen from your car?

I'm not sure, but it may still be possible that home owners/renters insurance might cover it if it wasn't physically inside the dwelling... Ask your agent about that.

There are policies you can purchase specifically for cameras, I don't have one though - so I can't really say anything about it. I'm sure someone who knows more about it will stop by soon...

3. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    yes, check on a "rider" it isn't very expensive; however , you will need to provide proof of purchase.

4. AverageJoe

AverageJoe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have personal property insurance on my gear with state farm, I gave them an itemized list of what I have and what I paid for it, totaled at $7k, I pay about $140 a year for it to be insured. If I drop it, it gets stolen or if it gets attacked by North Korea State Farm will give me the cash I claimed it to be worth.

5. Josh66

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Good thinking, planning ahead and everything. You never know when that **** is going to go down, lol...

My insurance doesn't cover acts of war/terrorism... I might have to look into State Farm.

:lol:

6. Markw

Markw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I may have to look into that. I dont have $7000 worth of equipment, but I do value mine and would die if it got stolen. Thats a good thing to check into..

Mark

7. Jay30

Jay30 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I just insured my gear with rider from my home owners. $50 a year for $2500 of coverage.

8. Phranquey

Phranquey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've got a rider on my homeowner's, and I pay 1.4% declared value annually, $154 on $11K. That covers anything that happens to it.... stolen, dropped, tripped on, run over, and, yes, North Koreans. :lol:

Another point that has been brought up on this subject was that if you made a claim, your homeowner's premium would go up, so I called my agent.... the answer I got was that the annual percentage of the rider would increase, not the primary premium. To me, this is well worth it should I happen to butterfinger a $4K rig.

9. Josh66

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Are you sure...? Pretty much every insurance plan I've ever had doesn't pay anything for acts of war/terrorism... Like, if some psycho comes into your workplace and starts shooting people, that's considered an act of terrorism - insurance doesn't have to pay ****.

Like my AD&D - if I die at work, my wife gets a little over $500,000. If it's an act of war or terrorism (really, the most likely scenario where I would die at work) - nothing.

edit
    We've had at least one incident where a recently fired employee rigged a bomb in the car of the person who fired him ... he was seriously injured. That would be considered an act of terrorism by most authorities...

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  10. Phranquey

Phranquey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, if a North Korean steals my camera, I'm covered.... otherwise, probably not.

Damn... I hope you're not in the HR dept.

11. Idahophoto

Idahophoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have renters insurance which covers my gear almost exclusively since all I have I put into photography lol. But yeah theft, mysterious disappearance or breakage by someone including myself is all covered. For 25 bucks a month it's a stellar deal and I see no reason not to do it. My set up is very small but hitting over 5K right now I would hate to have to replace that myself if something happened. I might have to change policies soon though as I am thinking I'll be reaching the limit of this plan real soon so will need to talk to them but as of now its all good.

12. Markw

Markw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well lets see, if I had to replace all I have in my bag today(stuff most likely to be stolen), it would be as follows:

Nikon D90 w/grip: $850 + $140 = $990
    Nikon 50mm F/1.8D: $135
    Nikon 80-200mm F/2.8D ED IF: $1,100
    Nikon 28-80mm F/3.3-5.6G: ~100
    Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro: $480
    Sigma 10-20mm F/4-5.6 EX DC HSM: $460
    Nikon SB-600: $220
    Lumiquest LQ-107 softbox: $35
    Prolight Inverted dome diffuser + 2 domes: $17
    Card Reader: $20

Total: $3557.

So, Im running on the low end of everyone here, but I think its totall worth $50-200 a year to not have to replace all of it new. Definately something to look into.

Mark