Camera insurance

Pedro_lopez

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I’m pining over getting a canon 5d Mark IV with 24-105 at Best Buy but basically I will be able to justify getting it without insurance, the extra 3 hundred dollars would put me out of the budget even though that might sound dumb.

I know for those with tons of gear insuring all their gear is the smart thing to do but if it was just one pro body and lens would you worry by not having it? Do you insure every piece of gear you have?

P.s. I’m just asking for opinions on the matter not asking to be talked out of an idea on a camera. If I had to I would wait just a little longer to get a camera at that level with insurance but I AM going to get it.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

In addition to what I posted: if I pass on the Best Buy Insurance, I’ve been reading up on other options like getting a membership with photography organizations and getting insured or other places that can give a quotes and insure equipment.

Skip the Best Buy insurance. It’s only good for a certain time period.

I pay $35/month for a million dollar liability policy on my business and $30,000 of equipment coverage. I’m sure you could find stand alone equipment coverage through someone for your gear for about the cost of a Netflix subscription.

I have all my Fuji equipment insured by State Farm through a Personal Articles Policy. It is a full replacement policy covering loss, theft and damage. The premium is $60/yr for up to $5000 and $1.25/$100 over the minimum. This is for non-professional photographers.

I would suggest you chuck the policy of Best Buy insurance as it is beneficial for some time only.

In addition to what I posted: if I pass on the Best Buy Insurance, I’ve been reading up on other options like getting a membership with photography organizations and getting insured or other places that can give a quotes and insure equipment.
how many times have you dropped your Nikon and Panasonic and had to send them in for repairs?

how many times have you dropped your Nikon and Panasonic and had to send them in for repairs?

Haven’t dropped any camera really. Just worried more about malfunctions seeing into the future if I want to go pro. And the fact that it’s going to be the highest end camera I’ve ever owned.

Paying for malfunction repairs is usually a lot less costly than paying for insurance.

In the last 10 years I think I have spent about $550 on 3 camera gear repairs, or an average of $55 a year, which is about the same or less than what insurance would have cost me.
At the peak in that 10 year period I had 7 DSLR camera bodies and 14 lenses.
Being retired, I'm now down to 3 DSLR bodies, 3 lenses, 3 flash units, 1 set of radio triggers.

A soccer ball ripped a 500 mm lens off a D90 body stripping the lens mount screw threads and destroying the rear LCD when the monopod mounted camera/lens crashed to the ground. So a new mount and LCD for a $220 repair.
I've sent the same lens to Nikon 2x now. Once to have it cleaned and calibrated, and to have a sticky aperture mechanism repaired.
Well! Poop!
I'm not satisfied - Details in post #11.

Well I got the 5d! With three lenses. The 35 f/2 , 50 f/1.4 , and 85 f/1.8. I passed on the Best Buy Insurance. But to my surprise canon is giving free battery grips with their cameras until sometime January, and also 13 month carepak protection after registering. So I registered the camera and lenses and now I’m basically covered until January 2019 for any accidental stuff.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back