Camera Invention: Attachment for Camera Flash to take shadow-free Macro photos

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by kaiser.wilhelm, Aug 18, 2010.

1. kaiser.wilhelm

kaiser.wilhelm TPF Noob!

2. NateS

NateS TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Interesting idea, but not for me. I can get just as much flexibility and movement by using my $5 custom bracket mounted to the tripod collar of my lens. I sure wouldn't want the weight of that large bracket plus a couple of SB-600's or SB-800's hanging off the end to be pulling on my hot shoe....feel much safer using the tripod collar or the tripod screw on the bottom...but that's just me.

How are you supposed to hook up a flash sync cord to the hot shoe? Ever serious photographer that I know that uses off camera (or off hot-shoe) flash uses a sync cord from the hot shoe to the flash(es)...yours blocks that access which entirely defeats the purpose I think.

3. TiCoyote

TiCoyote TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Looks clever, but won't a ringlight flash do the same thing?

4. NateS

NateS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No...a ring light will still come from the same direction as the lens...these will give you light that comes from angles farther away from the lens itself...gives a much different look....for me though, I can find (or make) brackets that do basically the same thing for a lot less money and won't be nearly as bulky.

5. JamesMason

JamesMason TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    [​IMG]

NO ?

6. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Clever design! I for one would like more flexibility in the "arms" AND more importantly, adaptability to larger (more powerful) flashes. There are a number of macro flash brackets that can provide similar function using offshoe flashes.

7. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I agree it is interesting - the popupflash (if directed correctly) can give enough light for 1:1 macro so its a feasible option for many. I would have liked to see the arms having extension/contraction so as to allow people to use them with lenses of varying working distances.

8. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    What sort of price-point are we looking at?

9. Infidel

Infidel TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    In relation to NateS's comments, did anyone else gather that those are bundles of optical fibers that transmit the light from the popup flash? In other words, I don't think the intention is to mount speedlights to the ends of the articulating arms. Am I way off base here?

10. Phranquey

Phranquey TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You are correct.

Interesting concept.... but what if I don't have a pop-up?? Now you need to take that and come up with a unit that attaches to the head of a speedlight with three extentions.... main light, fill light, & hair light. :lol:

11. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Another thought the comes to me is diffusion - these spotlights are very small (in fact I'd hazzard that they are together smaller than the area of the popup flash) so in effect with a smaller light source, even with two of them and at macro distances, the user will get some quite harsh lighting. Enlarging the end parts by adding some form of small softbox to the end of each would increase the surface area of the light source onto the subject and thus increase the degree of diffusion possible with the units.

12. kaiser.wilhelm

kaiser.wilhelm TPF Noob!

Thank you to all who have responded. I greatly appreciate your comments, feedbacks, and criticism. Especially criticism as this can help within future design processes (NateS, usayit, Overread).

As Infidel and Phranquey have correctly pointed out, fibre optic cables are utilised.

@tirediron: The price is not yet defined since this is a prototype. I have a target price, however if this is obtainable is a different question. In microeconomics there is a term called 'economies of scale'. To make a long story short, the higher the amount of production, the cheaper the cost. So in this sense, if (relatively) many can be produced, the cost would be low. Finding manufacturers, distributors is a challenge with any innovation. For examples, circa 3% of all patents ideas actually turn into a market success.

If I may ask, for those who would be interested in such a product, what price would you be willing to pay? (I hope it is OK to conduct a little bit of personal market research).

Thank you for your time and have a good day.
    Wilhelm
    Berlin, Germany