Camera/Laptop Briefcase?

misterman8

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I don't know if this exists but I thought someone here might be able to help me.

I am going to be leaving in a couple of months for 3 months of dissertation research, I will be going to India, S. Africa, and a brief stint back to the States. After each leg I will be returning to London for a couple of days to turn in papers and meet with people. I will be traveling with the following electonics:

14" iBook (with power cord, outlet adapters, iPod, whatever else I need)
an SLR with one or two lenses and probably 10 rolls of film
A digital voice recorder, looking at the tiny ones made by sony

In addition to those things I am going to be toting around what amounts to about 3 reems of paper on each trip, a couple of boxes of pens and some random other stuff (think of something around the size of a large ziplock bag full).

I am looking for something that will hold/protect all of this stuff, is carry-on sized, doesn't scream "look! there are expensive things in here," has a shoulder strap (no wheels) and looks at least semi-professional; along the way I will be meeting with some political and government officials and I would at least like to look like I am a professional.

My budget is, say, less than $200 US, but obviously I am a grad student, and the lower the better. I am having a hard time finding something that fits all of my needs, but maybe it doesnt exist. If anyone can make any luggage suggestions that would be great!

I've got my eye on the Axio Hybrid - but I've yet to see if my toys will fit in - well worth a look though. Otherwise, your post got me searching for one myself, and found a Lowepro CompuTrekker Plus AW Camera + Laptop Backpack here: http://tinyurl.com/avsf7 or the Tamrac CyberPack range look good too.

Let us know what you decide on!

cant give oyu a spesific fix but look on the sites of all the companeys like case logic exetera
also how well do you want your things protected wil play a big role

If you don't mind backpacks, I would strongly recommend looking into Kata R-103. Amazing build quality and looks. If you prefer shoulder: there are options with Tamrac and Tenba that I've used and know about. Tamrac Super Pro 19 perhaps will be a bit too big, but if you ever decide to add more glass to your collection, they will fit easily.

Hope this helps, Chancellor.

I've got this one Computrekker AW
It was actually less expensive than a similar one without the laptop compartment.

I really like Lowepro bags and this one is no exception. It will hold a laptop, SLR with several lenses or accessories, and it has a separate compartment for general storage. I don't think you could put three reams of paper in there though. Check out other Lowepro bags..they are great. Tamrac is also a well respected brand.

The fabric is water resistant and all of the Lowepro 'AW' series bags have a water-proof rain cover built in. It came in very handy while I was in the rain forests of Costa Rica.

jwkwd said:
You have to carry around 3 reems of paper ?

Yeah, roughly. I am doing research and in order to collect enough data, satisfy various ethics boards, and account for the potential languages spoken I have to have between 100 and 200 copies of what will be a six page packet with me in each country. I may be able to pare that down on a day to day basis but not very far; better to have too many than too few.

I am now trying to decide if it would be a good idea to rethink taking the laptop. I think I am going to have adequate computer access, although it would be nice to be able to begin entering scores into the database as I go. So much stuff to haul around, so little money. I have also considered going with a "briefcase" style laptop bag and a "holster" camera bag carabinered to that. I guess my biggest goal with all of this is to be able to get my stuff around in country at the lowest possible profile I can.

Most reactions

Back