Camera LCD vs Computer screen...

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Hardrock, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Hardrock

Hardrock TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    My question is ... When viewing the picture on the lcd screen on the camera and zooming all the way in I check the focus on the eyes and it appears to be clear but then when I upload the picture and bring it into cs3 the eyes are still clear but not as clear as the lcd screen, why? The monitor is a Dell 20 in Ultra sharp monitor (thats all I know about the monitor , since Im at work I can not check). The only thing I can come up with is the lcd is only 3 inchs and the picture in cs3 is more like a 5 by 7in. What do you guys think?

2. NateS

NateS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What camera? May sound silly but it matters. If it's a Nikon, only a nikon RAW editor (View NX or Capture NX(2)) is going to be able to read ALL of the raw data which possibly includes the sharpening settings in the camera. If you are using ACR for your editing then it probably isn't reading any of that and is giving you an image to start with equivalent to the sharpening setting being at 0 which will look soft without any type of sharpening applied. A slight amount of USM should get you back up where you need to be. This is the biggest reason I've never left Capture NX2.

If you don't shoot Nikon, ignore my post and pretend I wasn't here.

3. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If I'm not mistaken, the image on your LCD goes through similar filters as though you were shooting in JPEG (including sharpening filters). If you shoot in RAW, the image on your computer won't have those sharpening filters applied.

4. Hardrock

Hardrock TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Its a Canon 50D and Im shooting jpeg.

5. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You're looking at a 3" screen on the 50D which means it will look sharper just because the screen is smaller. Once you view the image full size or near full size you can see far more detail.

Resize the picture, apply sharpening and save... then take another look. It will look sharper.

6. keith foster

keith foster TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I shoot a 50d but only shoot raw. I haven't had this problem. I think inTempus has your solution.

7. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    You have a 15 MP camera and by electing to capture images as JPEGs, let it discard up to 80% of the image data.

That leaves you with the equivelent of a 3 MP image.

At least that's if you're shooting as JPEG Fine. If you're shooting JPEG Medium or JPEG Basic it's even worse.

You may already be familiar with how JPEG compression works.

What it does is it converts those 15 MP into 8x8 pixel squares, averages the color information and discards 80% of that color information the image sensor actually captured in each of those 8x8 pixel squares.

After it does that, it then applies crude and global contrast, saturation, and sharpening adjustments based on either default parameters programmend into the CPU at the factory or based on menu parameters you have set in the camera.

Then you get to look at it on the LCD and the discarded image data is gone, bye-bye, lost for-ever.

JPEG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But, the difference you are seeing is just what you speculated it was. The difference between a small LCD and a desk top monitor.

8. Hardrock

Hardrock TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well I wish I would have known that sooner!!! I thought the only real difference was being able to adjust for white balance. The only reason I was shooting jpeg was for the ease of uploading , editing and viewing on the monitor. Thanks! For now on its raw only.

InTempus when you say resize you mean going from 72ppi to 300 ppi?

9. Romphotog

Romphotog TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    6mp Economy, file size 1.1mb, zoomed 200%, distortion and halo around edges. Same scene, 6mp Fine, file size 3.56mb, zoomed 200%, looked ok, less distortion.
    In fact, if you have to zoom that much to see so little difference between Fine and Economy, it's not worth it to use Fine at all as file size is 3x. I use Normal as I found burst mode using Fine useless as it took too long to save to card.
    I am not certain as to what's happening using Economy, if compression is used then it would take longer to save pics vs. Fine; In fact, opposite is true.

10. keith foster

keith foster TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Are you saying there is negligible difference between jpeg normal and raw? Or only negligible difference between jpeg normal and fine?
    What camera are you using?.

11. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Unless you edit your pictures there will be negligible difference between JPEG and RAW. Heck until you start tweaking your RAW converter a bit the JPEG will likely come out better anyway. Back in my JPEG days I also shot normal instead of fine. There was no visible difference.

To get back to the question, the ppi of the image has nothing to do with it until you hit the print button. One likely reason is how the image is displayed. When you zoom in do you eventually get to a 1:1 mapping of image pixels to the pixels on your tiny LCD screen? In Photoshop at 100% (providing your computer monitor resolution is correctly cranked as high as it will go for your LCD) the pixel mapping will be 1:1.

If you start to get a smaller mapping then interpolation will mask away sharpness problems. If you only have 2 pixels to display 3 pixels, how do you know if the middle pixel will be white, black, or grey because it wasn't sharp?

12. RONDAL

RONDAL TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ok lets not carried away here. Any new version of ACR has the tweaks buillt into the default setting that will apply a but of sharpening.

why in this day and age people on a photography forum (in the beyond basics section no less) would still be advocating jpeg over RAW is beyond me.