Camera lens help

Ccarver80

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I'm new to this fourm and photography in general, I have a nikon D5000 with a basic 18-35mm nikor lens that came with it. Im Looking online because I want a all around versital lens i like shooting landscapes and wildlife I found on ebay a 18-200mm lens for $119 I think it might be factory refurbished but I cant afford a $1,200 lens.

If having the range of 18-200 mm why do some photographers have 20 differnt lens?

Nikon's original 18-200mm zoom was replaced by a later, better model, as the category (called "superzoom" category) grew in popularity, and as Nikon cameras themselves went higher in megapixels. The 18-200mm Nikon lenses worked pretty well on the 6-Megapixel generation cameras, like the Nikon D70 and D70s and so on, and were also "okay" on the next generation, which was composed of cameras with sensors in the 10- and 12-Megapixel range, and which then shifted to 16-Megapixels, and then to 24-Megapixels. As the Megapixel counts have gone higher and higher, lens faults have become more obvious to more users, and the need for ever-better lens designs has become an issue for the camera and the independent, third-party lens makers like Sigma, Tokina, Tamron,and Rokinon and Samyang, and so on. YES, you probably can buy a first-gen 18-200 Nikon, or third-party 18-200 lens for $119.

Many people want specialized lenses that are really, really GOOD lenses, while others want the convenience of wide,wide zoom ranges, like 18-200mm, or 18-270mm, or even 18-300mm. Specialized lenses,like macro lenses, are also a thing many people like. Same with fast, prime lenses like 85mm f/1.4 or 135mm f/2 lenses, or 24mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 primes; specialty tools for the highest possible image quality, or for use in the most difficult circumstances, like poor light, or at night for star photography, etc.

Welcome to the forum, most of the lenses that cover a large focal range are very cheaply made which means:
- Soft looking images
- Slow F-stops and variable f-stops like 3.5-5.6 Less light gets in the lens as you zoom
- Higher chromatic aberration (discoloration in high contrast scenes)

It is worth spending good money on lenses, it is also going to be a little hard to pick one lens to do both landscapes and wildlife since this are two different animals. Landscapes need a wide angle of view (10mm-50mm-ish) while wildlife needs a narrow angle100mm-600mm to really fill the frame.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back