Camera love- is the grass always greener for you?

But something about the K1000? Don't know why.

The size and the sounds it makes are what do it for me. Added plus is that they seem indestructible.

Ha ha! You win as the guy who NEVER chases the tech in lieu of artistic vision.

I'm the Eugene Atget of our time.....
Eugene Atget / Biography & Images - Atget Photography.com Videos Books & Quotes

Quote.... He was not progressive, but worked patiently with techniques that were obsolescent when he adopted them, and very nearly anachronistic by the time of his death.
The K1000 just LOOKS like what a camera should look like to anyone over 40! I just love 'em.

...There have been four cameras over 16 years that were really,really successful for me. The others were just stop-gaps, and were released as technology was still evolving. ...
There is a ton of truth and insight in that statement right there! We've all had successful gear and we've all had stop-gap gear and it's pretty clear which is which!

Peeb said:
...There have been four cameras over 16 years that were really,really successful for me. The others were just stop-gaps, and were released as technology was still evolving. ...
There is a ton of truth and insight in that statement right there! We've all had successful gear and we've all had stop-gap gear and it's pretty clear which is which!

The earliest five or six years of digital cameras were released as technology was evolving, rapidly in most cases, incrementally in some cases, and as the camera makers struggled to find the exact, right mix of features in an expanding camera marketplace, both to drive sales, but also to establish a market foothold. Canon had the 5D, the "affordable" full-frame a few years before Nikon had any full-frame camera offering; Nikon's first FX was the D3, and it was an expensive camera, significantly higher than the cost of a 5D at its introductory price which was, as I recall, $3,499, but which dropped to $2,199 on close-out pricing at the end of its life.

Some cameras are or were just simply very fine "shooters". Some had issues or weaknesses, and some just did not last long on the market. There were some weak cameras, and some fine cameras.

I shot the FE-2 and the F3HP from the mid-1980's until 2000; I loved both of those cameras. I prefered the FE-2 over the FM and the FM-2. I liked the viewfinder of the F3HP more than any camera I've ever,ever,ever used. We've now arrived at the stage where constant upgrading is no longer necessary, and where for many of us, it's probably better to buy one camera type and to stick with it for some length of time.

Peeb said:

The earliest five or six years of digital cameras were released as technology was evolving, rapidly in most cases, incrementally in some cases, and as the camera makers struggled to find the exact, right mix of features in an expanding camera marketplace, both to drive sales, but also to establish a market foothold. Canon had the 5D, the "affordable" full-frame a few years before Nikon had any full-frame camera offering; Nikon's first FX was the D3, and it was an expensive camera, significantly higher than the cost of a 5D at its introductory price which was, as I recall, $3,499, but which dropped to $2,199 on close-out pricing at the end of its life.

Some cameras are or were just simply very fine "shooters". Some had issues or weaknesses, and some just did not last long on the market. There were some weak cameras, and some fine cameras.

I shot the FE-2 and the F3HP from the mid-1980's until 2000; I loved both of those cameras. I prefered the FE-2 over the FM and the FM-2. I liked the viewfinder of the F3HP more than any camera I've ever,ever,ever used. We've now arrived at the stage where constant upgrading is no longer necessary, and where for many of us, it's probably better to buy one camera type and to stick with it for some length of time.

How about the first Kodak Nikons. Talking about pricey at the time. My first digital SLR would have been a Fuji S1 Pro. But long story short. The camera store basically stole my money and some equipment from me. Was down in FL and he took off to NY. That put a dent into my photo buying for a little while. Eventually I did pick up a D50, and been upgrading since.

Peeb said:

How about the first Kodak Nikons. Talking about pricey at the time. My first digital SLR would have been a Fuji S1 Pro. But long story short. The camera store basically stole my money and some equipment from me. Was down in FL and he took off to NY. That put a dent into my photo buying for a little while. Eventually I did pick up a D50, and been upgrading since.
ouch!

I bought a Fuji S1 Pro....used...payed like $2,800 for it when it was still current..it suffered from the dreaded "green blob issue" or whatever it was called, in which a large portion of the frame suffered from a fairly faint greenish tinge across like 65% of the picture area...the Fuji S1 Pro was a VERY cheap Nikon N60 film body hack...minimum ISO level was 320...slooooow flash synch speed...pathetic buffer...a rather dismal camera, but at the time it was a D-SLR, and there was it, and the Nikon D1, and the early Kodak DCS model or two....not much choice in those early days of the d-slr.

I bought a Fuji S1 Pro....used...payed like $2,800 for it when it was still current..it suffered from the dreaded "green blob issue" or whatever it was called, in which a large portion of the frame suffered from a fairly faint greenish tinge across like 65% of the picture area...the Fuji S1 Pro was a VERY cheap Nikon N60 film body hack...minimum ISO level was 320...slooooow flash synch speed...pathetic buffer...a rather dismal camera, but at the time it was a D-SLR, and there was it, and the Nikon D1, and the early Kodak DCS model or two....not much choice in those early days of the d-slr.
Never got the chance to see the green blob. :048: In the year that he was stringing me along, they announced the S2 Pro. So, I said get me that one. And it went on for another 3-4 months. Eventually they just closed up shop. :BangHead: 16-17 years ago and still hurts.

I've had 5 cameras in the last 8 years since starting photography. I started with a Rebel 2000 in '09, then I went to digital about a year later with a Rebel XTi. After having the XTi for about 2 years, I got a 5D MKI in 2012 before moving to SF. When I moved to San Francisco it was stolen, so I had to replace it, which I did with a Canon 50D. After having that for a year, I decided that I wanted to go back to a 5D MKI, so I did. I love this camera so much. It was super inexpensive, and it can render an image beautifully. After using this body for 4 years though, I find myself wanting video capabilities and larger resolution images. I may be upgrading to a 5D MKII or MKIII, or a 6D. I only have one lens, so it's also a possibility that I may go with a Nikon.

Last edited:
I've had 5 cameras in the last 8 years since starting photography. I started with a Rebel 2000 in '09, then I went to digital about a year later with a Rebel XTi. After having the XTi for about 2 years, I got a 5D MKI in 2012 before moving to SF. When I moved to San Francisco it was stolen, so I had to replace it, which I did with a Canon 50D. After having that for a year, I decided that I wanted to go back to a 5D MKI, so I did. I love this camera so much. It was super inexpensive, and it can render an image beautifully. After using this body for 4 years though, I find myself wanting video capabilities and larger resolution images. I may be upgrading to a 5D MKII or MKII, or a 6D. I only have one lens, so it's also a possibility that I may go with a Nikon.
If your thinking Nikon and you have some spare money right now (today). You can get a refurbished Nikon D810 for $2,000 from Nikon! The only Canon close to it's sensor quality is the 5d mk iv (color gamut, dynamic range, and ISO performance). Only a Sony Mirrorless test better by DXO for cameras under $45k!!!

D610's are $1,080 at the moment. Both are full frame Nikons. The D610's are rated #9 by DXO. Tomorrow there may be an announcement on new Nikon models. It's their 100th birthday. And people are at least expecting a D810 replacement. I am betting there will be a couple more they way they are reducing pricing on some models. That is their typical clue when a replacement is coming.

I just started 2 years ago with a Pentax K1000 & Nikon D3300. Upgraded to a refurbished D7200 that was lemon. Traded all in for XT2 and love it. It works like my film cameras. I have bought a few thrift store film cameras and I like them all. Bought a used XPRO 2 for a second shooter and love it as well.

I'm too poor to buy anything but the best. I've had a D810 since it was announced and until tomorrow, there isn't anything better. I had the D700 before that; I used it till the mirror box jammed. D300 before that..used it till I had a deal on the D700. D70s before that...it's still kicking around the house somewhere.

But something about the K1000? Don't know why.

The size and the sounds it makes are what do it for me. Added plus is that they seem indestructible.

Ha ha! You win as the guy who NEVER chases the tech in lieu of artistic vision.

I'm the Eugene Atget of our time.....
Eugene Atget / Biography & Images - Atget Photography.com Videos Books & Quotes

Quote.... He was not progressive, but worked patiently with techniques that were obsolescent when he adopted them, and very nearly anachronistic by the time of his death.
The K1000 just LOOKS like what a camera should look like to anyone over 40! I just love 'em.

I bought my K1000 in the early 90s and told myself that I was going to use it to learn as much as I could about photography, and I would keep using it until I "outgrew" it. Over the years, I discovered that I could keep learning more and more and never outgrow that camera. After about 20 years, I finally started branching out into other kinds of cameras, and I was curious to see how it would affect how I shoot. I've learned about the kinds of cameras I respond to and which I don't. However, I always default back to the K1000. I'll just never get tired of it.

So, no, the grass is never really 'greener.' There are some lawns I haven't been on and am curious about, but not with a mind to replace what already works for me, but just to see how it might expand my repertoire. For the most part, however, I'm pretty settled with my gear. There is only one camera that is my own personal white whale at the moment, and that is the Hasselblad 500CM. If y'all know where I can get a setup for a good price, let me know :D

There is only one camera that is my own personal white whale at the moment, and that is the Hasselblad 500CM. If y'all know where I can get a setup for a good price, let me know :D

Oh man, we had one at work for sale in the used film camera case, it lasted there only a couple of days......LOL
Near mint, it sold for $1400.00 with a 80mm and 2 backs.

Back in 2002 a guy came into the photo store I worked at and wanted to sell us a 500CM for $75. Knowing it had to be stolen my boss told that guy to get out of my (.......) store. A customer overheard all this, chased the guy down and bought it for $75.

There is only one camera that is my own personal white whale at the moment, and that is the Hasselblad 500CM. If y'all know where I can get a setup for a good price, let me know :D

Oh man, we had one at work for sale in the used film camera case, it lasted there only a couple of days......LOL
Near mint, it sold for $1400.00 with a 80mm and 2 backs.

Back in 2002 a guy came into the photo store I worked at and wanted to sell us a 500CM for $75. Knowing it had to be stolen my boss told that guy to get out of my (.......) store. A customer overheard all this, chased the guy down and bought it for $75.

I have a hard time knowing what I would have done when faced with a stolen Hassy for $75!

But the $1400 would have been out of my current budget anyway. I don't need super pretty or near mint condition. I just need it to work :)

On the other hand, some cameras you 'grow out of' and then years pass and you dearly miss them. Here is my long-gone Nikon FG-20, circa July 1985 (32 years ago, and 32 pounds ago)....
Nikon fg20_small.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back