Camera love- is the grass always greener for you?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Peeb, Jul 22, 2017.

1. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I just started 2 years ago with a Pentax K1000 & Nikon D3300. Upgraded to a refurbished D7200 that was lemon. Traded all in for XT2 and love it. It works like my film cameras. I have bought a few thrift store film cameras and I like them all. Bought a used XPRO 2 for a second shooter and love it as well.

• Like Like x 3
  2. chuasam

chuasam Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm too poor to buy anything but the best. I've had a D810 since it was announced and until tomorrow, there isn't anything better. I had the D700 before that; I used it till the mirror box jammed. D300 before that..used it till I had a deal on the D700. D70s before that...it's still kicking around the house somewhere.

• Like Like x 2
  3. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I bought my K1000 in the early 90s and told myself that I was going to use it to learn as much as I could about photography, and I would keep using it until I "outgrew" it. Over the years, I discovered that I could keep learning more and more and never outgrow that camera. After about 20 years, I finally started branching out into other kinds of cameras, and I was curious to see how it would affect how I shoot. I've learned about the kinds of cameras I respond to and which I don't. However, I always default back to the K1000. I'll just never get tired of it.

So, no, the grass is never really 'greener.' There are some lawns I haven't been on and am curious about, but not with a mind to replace what already works for me, but just to see how it might expand my repertoire. For the most part, however, I'm pretty settled with my gear. There is only one camera that is my own personal white whale at the moment, and that is the Hasselblad 500CM. If y'all know where I can get a setup for a good price, let me know :D

• Like Like x 2
  4. webestang64

webestang64 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh man, we had one at work for sale in the used film camera case, it lasted there only a couple of days......LOL
    Near mint, it sold for $1400.00 with a 80mm and 2 backs.

Back in 2002 a guy came into the photo store I worked at and wanted to sell us a 500CM for $75. Knowing it had to be stolen my boss told that guy to get out of my (.......) store. A customer overheard all this, chased the guy down and bought it for $75.

5. limr

limr Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a hard time knowing what I would have done when faced with a stolen Hassy for $75!

But the $1400 would have been out of my current budget anyway. I don't need super pretty or near mint condition. I just need it to work :)

6. Peeb

Peeb Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    On the other hand, some cameras you 'grow out of' and then years pass and you dearly miss them. Here is my long-gone Nikon FG-20, circa July 1985 (32 years ago, and 32 pounds ago)....
    Nikon fg20_small.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Those small Sunpak 3xx and 4xx series flashes were DA' BOMB back in the day!!! So much nicer feature-wise than the more-popular Vivitar flash units!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Peeb

Photos OK to edit
    Good eye! It was the 333D Auto Zoom.
    sunpak.jpg

9. Peeb

Photos OK to edit
    I like that quote! Makes a lot of sense if one has discipline and follows it.

10. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Get ready to fork over some dough. The new (not as yet released) D850 (maybe) is rumored to have a hybrid mechanical/electronic view finder. (does either function)

So there's that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Flash Harry

Flash Harry No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I've only ever sold one, an olympus OM10, I have a medium format bronica with lens, a minolta 9000 and an F90X both of which I started the business with, all still work fine, pity I can't say the same for the digital variants I've spent a fortune on since which always end their lives with some electronic problem.

• Like Like x 1