Camera question!

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by jfrog725, Dec 13, 2009.

1. jfrog725

jfrog725 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi, I have a question...

I took some photography classes in high school and fell in love with it. Now that I have some time on my hands I would like to get back into it.
    I was wondering if someone could tell me what the best kind of SLR to use, and what the best lenses are and just some general info.
    That would be fantastic.
    Thank you so much :)

2. Pugs

Pugs TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Budget? Digital? Film? 35mm? Medium format? Large format? We have NO point of reference for what you're asking whatsoever.

3. jfrog725

jfrog725 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Sorry, lets see:

Budget? Probably not more than a hundred or so dollars. I'm just wanting to start small. Definitely film. I don't want to do digital. And medium format is what I want to start with.

4. chip

chip TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    don't think medium format is a good place for beginners! They are not for low budget applications. 35mm is the way to go! how about a used Nikon or Canon film SLR? There are many of them on Ebay you can buy for under 100$ with a normal lens.

5. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum!

Mediuim format is fine if you don't mind doing your own developing.

It's not an SLR but a Yashica Mat 124 (don't bother with the G) in good shape can be had for under $100. The 80mm lens and some shoe leather will cover most anything you'll want to shoot for a god long time.

If you want to start with B&W, a used Patterson tank, the chemistry, 10 rolls of EDU and the camera should come in around $150. Add to that a flatbed scanner that can scan negs ~ another $50 or so if you shop and don't mind used. If all you can swing is one that does 35mm you just get a trial copy of Photo Shop and learn how to stitch the two scans it takes per shot and hey-ho there you go. After this shooting gets a lot cheaper <$0.50 per shot depending on the film you use. Color is a bit more but the only difference is in the film and chem.

If you don't want to develop then just having the film developed and scanned so you can have the shots you want printed later.

For more info on developing drop down to the "The Darkroom' section. ;)

6. djacobox372

djacobox372 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nikon FG or Canon AE1 are good "budget" choices. Look for one that comes with a 50mm lens, shouldn't cost you more then $50.

7. Paul Ron

Paul Ron TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Now if you alerady have 35mm equipemt, developing stuff, then stick with 35mm.

BUT... if you are starting anew, get yourself into MF. You have no idea what a pleasure it is to have so much realestate in a negative, it's like breathing fresh air for the first time, details that just get fudged in 35mm.

A good starter are the 6x6 TLRs like Yashicamats. They are light, cheap and pretty reliable and there are plenty available for around $100. Check the classified here n some other photo forums for great deals.

If you save your pennies, get into MF SLRs like Bronica ETRS 645 for around $250 for a nice starter kit.

Then of course there is the Big Daddy of 6x7s that will blow you away, Mamiya RB67. It's a ton of a camera, built like a Russian tank, but what a machine for the money. Starter kits can go for around $350 n up depending on lenses n options.

Well start small n work your way up but I say MF is the way to go, especially at these prices. You'll be hooked once you see your negs come out of the soup for the first time.

8. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ^
    +1

9. djacobox372

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd have to go with the others and recommend medium format... provided you can develop and scan yourself.

I have a yashicamat 124g--great little camera for the $$.

10. jfrog725

jfrog725 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you so mcuh! I went to a pawn shop and found a Nikon FG for 50 bucks. And I think it's in good shape. I hope at least. Thank you all for your advice, you have been most helpful :)

11. djacobox372

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not a bad deal, assuming it came with a decent lens.