Camera Recommendation?

anthonyw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm not sure which camera I should get. I'm considering either a Nikon D5000, Canon T1i or Panasonic GF1.

Right now I'm leaning towards the D5000 + 55-200mm lens. I guess if I went with the T1i I'd go with the 50mm and with the GF1 I'd go for the 20mm lens.

I'd like to get the camera that is all around highest quality / best for both photos and video. I'm mainly into audio production, but will soon be getting into photo + video.

Last edited:
The Canon is better in video than the Nikon, can't speak of the Panasonic. Apparently the Canon T2i is even better in the video. I personally think that having a still camera that can shoot video is OK but for real video - you need a video recorder.

I think you need to rethink the lenses ... you have 3 distinct focal lengths with the different brands of cameras. I believe all 3 can come with an 18-55 zoom or at least look to see how close in focal length each has.

I have done a little more research and am thinking of going with a Panasonic GH1 body and Canon 50mm 1.8 II lens.

Would this adapter work?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Adapter-Olympus-Panasonic-DMC-GF1/dp/B003150B6O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1274821696&sr=8-3]Amazon.com: Canon EOS EF Lens to Micro 4/3 Four Thirds System…[/ame]

Yep, it will work. The question really should be: Will it work well?

The Canon lens is made for a camera that has a APS-C sensor (1.6x crop factor) that has a 3:2 aspect ratio and you want to use that lens on a camera that has a 4:3 aspect ratio and a 2x crop factor.

Let us know how it works out!

Why pick the GH1?

Looking at the specs I can't see anything is does better than the D5000 or the T1i but it costs a lot more.

Amazon prices
T1i - $749 body and 18-55 lens f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (+231 for a 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6)
GH1 - 1189 Body and 14-140mm/F4.0-5.8 lens
D5000 - $633 body and 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens (About 200 for a 55-200 lens.)

I Can't see a single reason other than may be video to go GH1. If your reason is the lens you can get either the T1i or the D5000 with other lenses that are far better then the one on that GH1(f4.0-5.8!!! eek)

IMO the D5000 is better then the T1i and both are better than the GH1

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks, I know that I can get a d5000 package cheaper, and what I was originally going to get, but it doesn't record 1080p or 60fps @ 720p and it has a limited recording time of 5 min. Also, as long as it would be ok, I would probably be getting a 50mm 1.8 lens since they're less expensive.

I just saw a whole bunch of videos done with 50mm lenses that I think look amazing. I'm not really concerned with a zoom feature and it's smaller. What do you recommend?

Last edited:
D5000 over the Canon. I don't think the t1i is capable of controlling an off-camera flash. The D5000 can with CLS, and that there is a major advantage.

I played with a friend's newly acquired D5000 and it's a lot of camera for the money.

I just saw a whole bunch of videos done with 50mm lenses that I think look amazing. I'm not really concerned with a zoom feature and it's smaller. What do you recommend?

What camera did you see the videos from?

The GH1 is a 2.0 crop camera. What this means is that the numbers on the lens at multiplied by 2 to get the 35mm film equivalent zoom. That by it self means that the 50mm lens on the GH1 would give you the same image as a 100mm lens on a 35mm film camera.

Now, look at the converter. The converter pushes the lens away from the camera sensor this in will change the image you seen in the lens. It will zoom it in further.

What this all means is that when comparing to a 35mm standard that lens will act like a lens with a fixed focal length of 100mm+.

Another consideration. The adapter removes all autofocus and electronic aperture control. This means that you will have to manually focus and unless I can't see it, the canon lens does not have a manual aperture control so you will only be able to shoot with it wide open.

So you'll be shooting at a 100mm+ focal length at a aperture of 1.8.

I can't see this as being useful.

Alright well I think I've decided to get the GH1 and 20mm pancake lens. Thanks to everyone for your help!

D5000 over the Canon. I don't think the t1i is capable of controlling an off-camera flash. The D5000 can with CLS, and that there is a major advantage.
The D5000 does not have Commander mode, which is the part of CLS that controls OCF.

From Nikon's list of specs for the D5000:

Nikon Creative Lighting System Compatibility
Yes
Built-in Commander mode not available

Most reactions

Back