Camera Recommondations and questions, need a lot of help!

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by photo28, Aug 10, 2008.

?

Do I get an SLR or a P&S?

1. SLR

3 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. P&S

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. photo28

photo28 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi,
    I've been looking for a new camera for a while now and it feels like forever.
    I'll let you know what I need, I will need macro for small insects and regular pictures of animals and nature... in that general group.
    Preferably 10MP.

#1. Do I get an SLR or a P&S?
    I've been looking at SLR's but I'm on a very tight budget and I saw some P&S cameras that have great macro.

#2. Who is the best to get from... Canon, Olympus, Nikon, etc.?

#3. What is the cheapest price I could get on a 10MP SLR that is "good"?

#4. Is the Olympus Evolt E-410 a good camera overall?

#5. Are the Canon Powershot cameras good? Do any have good macro?

2. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Why 10MP?

3. photo28

photo28 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The 10MP is just so I can get a nice print and have more flexibility with print sizes, the more and bigger, the better for me. If you know a camera that is lower, maybe 8MP tell me, I just said ten so that I can enlarge pictures more because I would like to get large prints although 8 would be fine as well.

4. bhoskins

bhoskins TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Whats your budget?

Ben

5. photo28

photo28 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If an SLR the body alone I would like to be under $400, $350 if possible.

6. bhoskins

bhoskins TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  7. photo28

photo28 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I was actually looking at that yesterday, and I have a friend who has the XTi. I found the XT on Buydig for $375.00, I'm not sure if thats a good place to get it from though. I'm keeping that one in mind but I'm going to keep looking.
    Thanks for all the help so far! Any more will be appreciated!

8. bhoskins

bhoskins TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I was also thinking maybe you could buy a used camera? Not sure what your views are but you could potentially get a decent camera for a snip of the retail price

Ben

9. photo28

photo28 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I was going to do that originally, but I heard "not to waste my time" on that. I'm going to look over that again, but I had trouble finding any that weren't just for parts and that work.

10. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    With a budget of $500 or so dSLR cameras pretty much suck. The Pentax, Olympus, and Sony cameras aren't bad for about that price but the entry level Nikons and Canons that everyone seems to be brainwashed into hyping are really bad. No cool features, and REALLY low build qualities. The only thing they have over a bridge camera is sensor size and interchangeable lenses. The sensor size means less noise at higher ISO settings and a much flatter DOF but a bridge camera at 40, 50, 64, 80 or 100 ISO is every bit as good as the dSLR when it comes to low noise performance. But even the other makers will get you with additional costs when you find out the kit lens you got your $600 or $700 dSLR with just isn't a good all purpose lens and you find yourself having to spend another $500 or $600 to get one that is. There are exceptions but that's usually the game that's played. Also if you're interested in the DOF of small sensors there was just a thread on this not long ago in which I probably overstated the case but is worth reading if you're interested in the DOF issue.

What bridge cameras have are features! Lots and lots of features! More usually than even the $5000 and $7000 dSLR models from the top makers. So if you want lots of features at a low price that's the forte' of the bridge camera. Most of them also come with a lens which has a zoom range that is great for all-purpose photography - from 1cm 1:1 bug macros to fairly long distance bird photos. A good range is 28 ~ 200mm f/2.8~3.5. (EDIT: Most new bridge cameras are about 28 ~ 400mm !!)

A bridge camera is one that looks like it is a dSLR but in fact the lens is not interchangeable. They usually also have a smaller higher density imaging sensor. During my time here at TPF (this website) I have only uploaded images taken with a bridge camera. The Minolta A2 which shares many technologies in common with the Sony A100, A200, A300, A350 and A700.

Usually bridge cameras are introduced at between $600 and $800 and then drop about $150 a year until they are discontinued. My Minolta for example released at $800 new (at which time I bought 48 of them - long story) and today 4 years later, sells for $200. You can see example images I have taken with this camera here or in my sig link below.

The best bridge camera right now is probably the new Casio. It sells for whopping $1000 right now (it just releases a few weeks ago) but next year it should be available for around $850. Here is a list of bridge cameras that are pretty good: http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1320337&postcount=11 Your don't really want a "P&S" unless it's terribly important to you that the camera fits into your pocket.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  11. photo28

photo28 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I thought that SLRs were in some cases overpriced and overrated. When I say/said "P&S" I mean Bridge camera, I honestly could careless if it fits in my pocket and want the most I could get out of a non-SLR. I see a 50/50 on the poll, anyone want to suggest more cameras or SLRs/Bridge cameras? I like the ones you recommended in th other thread, Bifurcator, I'm going to have to do some research and search for more!
    Are the cameras cheaper in Japan, is that where they're made?
    Also, nice pictures with your bridge camera! :thumbup:...
    Those have put some positive thoughts about the Bridge cameras, but I'm still so confused!!!:drool::x
    Would the SLR's be better, maybe the less-expensive ones... Nikon D60, Rebel XT, Olympus Evolt E-410?

12. photo28

photo28 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    How much different is the image quality between a bridge camera and SLR? Maybe compoare the Olympus SP-570 UZ image quality to the Nikon D40. Is the D40's image quality that much better if it is 6MP and the SP-570 is 10MP?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008