Camera Security - Car

He should have refered to rule #3 above.

the last 3 days my car was almost filled up to the roof ... only way to transport all the stuff and no way to get it out over night.

it is a four-seater and two people could hardly sit in it after i filled it up with my rubbish ;)

guess that was too much so it scared away thieves since they could not carrry it all..

the last 3 days my car was almost filled up to the roof ... only way to transport all the stuff and no way to get it out over night.

it is a four-seater and two people could hardly sit in it after i filled it up with my rubbish ;)

guess that was too much so it scared away thieves since they could not carrry it all..

What really sucks is Mercedez doesn't make a van. Not one that I have seen any way. :lol::lol:

oopps, I am driving an Audi anyway ;)

It doesn't help about having to leave you cameras but I carry mine and a couple lenses/batteries and what not in a very large fanny pack around my waist or over the shoulder. It doesn't look like much and have yet to be out a camera. Makes changing lenses easy too!

About surfing though, can you take a friend that doesn't surf to look after your things? Maybe get some shots of you in the process? Take turns? That or a rabid dog of around a 150 pounds. ;)

mike

I always leave it in the boot and the glovebox locked. The benefit of this is you can't get to it without a key. So if they break in they'd need to also either break into a glovebox, or steal the car. Not very encouraging I know but it is like a bicycle lock. If someone wants to steal your bike they will regardless if you lock it up or not, but if someone is just looking for a snatch and grab then they will pass on it.

Best protection of all, get contents insurance for your car, or the camera itself insured.

A gun safe? And don't forget to add $3000 worth of extra load suspension to carry that safe. LOL

One thing I've been told to do with anything to be stored in the trunk:

Make sure you store everything in the trunk prior to reaching your final destination. I've been told that thieves who stake out parking lots look for people who, park, open their trunk, place stuff inside, close the trunk, and leave. This increases their chances of scoring something valuable when picking their next victim.

I've even made it a habit of moving the car and reparking when I plan to drop off purchases at the mall with the intent of returning inside.

Also make sure you disable the inside trunk "popper". It takes a few seconds to break a window (metal ball bearing or marble) and pop the trunk. Much easier than attempting to break into the trunk itself. Parking lot thieves learn to become familiar with certain makes and models.

Never, I mean never leave your car with the valet with valuables inside. A typical valet tactic when it becomes busy and difficult to keep up is to leave the keys on the passenger tire.

btw... it is impossible to secure a vehicle from theft a 100%.

btw... gun safes are not like fireproof safes... they don't weight THAT much. Bolting one in your vehicle is a common thing for Jeep Wrangler owners (extremely easy vehicle to access).

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/about.html

I have a large metal construction tool box bolted to the floor of my Jeep with pad locks.

If you have an older vehicle with a small key at the rear of the trunk, it takes two seconds with a dent popper to remove the whole locking mechanism. There are kits out there to reinforce those locks.

The top one I heard was a photographer who regularly left her photographic equipment in the car and on the beach and it was NEVER stolen. She had it in the bottom of a diaper bag. :lol:

skieur

I’m always worried about the heat in the trunk (boot) damaging equipment. Does any one else worry about that?

In the past (when we had kids at home) I used a diaper bag. It didn't hurt to have a fresh diaper folded like it was used and sitting on the floor next to the bag. That was a long time ago, what memories.

The top one I heard was a photographer who regularly left her photographic equipment in the car and on the beach and it was NEVER stolen. She had it in the bottom of a diaper bag. :lol:

skieur
I think this guy is beyond what you would hold in a diaper bag.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back