camera set-up for highest resolution???

soonercrew

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
im obviously new, very new... to the photography world. i have signed up for some classes here at my local dealer, so that im not posting common knowledge questions to all you pros... but, in the meantime i have 3 cars that need to be photographed for the upcoming barrett jackson auction. i have recently purchased a d90 and will be using a new nikon 12-24 lens as well... i will be shooting these pictures outside, against a solid white wall and the sun at my back (this is the plan anyways)... i need the pictures to be the highest possible resolution i can get, since they will be projected onto a 150"+ screen at the actual auction. my question is: how do i set up my camera to get the highest possible resolution (taking into consideration what im shooting and what lens ill be using)??? im clueless on how/what to do in order to make these photos sharp enough to be projected to a screen of that size. i took photos with my point-n-shoot and tried emailing them in different formats, but all i was told is that the photo quality (or size) wasnt big enough. they are suppose to be a miniumum of 1mb but preferably bigger???
how can i achieve this size and the highest quality resolution possible?
thanks in advance for any help you can provide!!!

Shoot in Raw.
If not get this Here

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
ill take that link into consideration...lol...
how do i shoot in raw?

Either go into the menus or on the back in the lower left press and hold the qual button and rotate I think it's the front command dial until you get to RAW. There is also a RAW+JPEG mode if you want both. Hope that helped out!
tj

on the camera back (where LCD is) depress the QUAL botton and rotate comand dial until you see JPG FINE L. IF you know how to process RAWs or have someone who can do it for you, Do the same until it saw RAW on lcd.
good luck

As a beginer, I suggest setting your camera to shoot both JPEG and RAW. This way you will have the JPEGs, the basic post processing is done for you by the camera , taking into account the settings of the camera, but you also have the RAW images to edit and allow for more creativity.

Once you are more comfortable with the various editing software that is available (Photoshop, Gimp...) Then set your camera to RAW only...

To do this, simply read the manual that came with the camera. It has all that information in it.

Just my opinion. :)

Last edited:
i really appreciate it! i think i can do that much for now... and i should be able to take the camera to my local shop and have them process the photos for me correctly...
thanks!!!

I think we've gotten image resolution (on the 150' screen he mentioned) mixed with image quality.

the 12.3MP sensor of the D90 should be sufficient for that 150' screen, since, I'm guessing, the majority of the auction-goers won't be any closer than ~25 feet from the screen.

(The math says that at 25 feet away, a single pixel would be about 19 arcminutes across.)

I could be wrong *shrug* Someone chip in and correct me if I am.

I think we've gotten image resolution (on the 150' screen he mentioned) mixed with image quality.

the 12.3MP sensor of the D90 should be sufficient for that 150' screen, since, I'm guessing, the majority of the auction-goers won't be any closer than ~25 feet from the screen.

(The math says that at 25 feet away, a single pixel would be about 19 arcminutes across.)

I could be wrong *shrug* Someone chip in and correct me if I am.

Close but you're 1650" off lol. Sounds good to me but i'm not good with all that tech talk.
tj

Close but you're 1650" off lol. Sounds good to me but i'm not good with all that tech talk.
tj

Oh, phwoops. >_< Well, a 150" projection screen sounds a lot more reasonable now! :p

Shoot RAW if you are going to do loads of post processing on your computer.Shoot JPEG if you dont wanna waste much time to process.If it's the later,set your camera to picture control vivid
Here's a tip,try different lighting positions other than front lit

I don't know what an arcminute is... Gonna go look that up now. :)

1 MOA - Minute of Arc. 1 minute of 1 degree. (1/60th of 1 degree.)
An arcsecond would be 1 second of 1 degree - 1/60th of 1 MOA, or 1/3600th of 1 degree.

I would put the camera on a tripod and use a small aperture to increase the DOF so that the whole car is sharp.

Not to change the subject... Are you a SOONERS fan?????????

Most reactions

New Topics

Back