Camera Settings for Off-Road shoot

Josh220

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys,
I'll be up in Big Bear, CA next weekend with a group of buddies from a forum I belong to for my truck. I'll have to wait until I get there to know the exact conditions, and may need to adapt my settings. So far, this is what I am thinking...

I don't want to isolate the truck and blur out the scenery, especially since it will be with my new Nikon 12-24 that I am ordering tomorrow. On the other hand, I don't know if a closed aperture of 22 would be best either.

I am thinking of using these settings: f/8 to f/11 with an exposure compensation of -1/3 to -1/2 since it will be very sunny out. I'd like to bring out the contrast and colors.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I'll be shooting with my D300 and the 12-24 all weekend. Thanks!

F/8 to f/11 is plenty. Lots of depth of field with that wide of an angle lens.

Short focal length wide angle lenses tend to have deeper DOF than normal or telephoto lenses. You'd have to be standing really close to the subject to reduce the DOF. I wouldn't worry about not having enough DOF with that lens.

Short focal length wide angle lenses tend to have deeper DOF than normal or telephoto lenses. You'd have to be standing really close to the subject to reduce the DOF. I wouldn't worry about not having enough DOF with that lens.

Do you think keeping it at about f/8 max would be best then? f/4 seems like it may be too wide open though, especially when it is so bright.

And since it's going to be very bright and sunny out (terrible time of day to shoot) is 1/3 or 1/2 stops enough to adjust the exposure compensation?

Even though it's still in the 'very good' rating, the worst performance setting for that lens is 12mm at f/4 (vignetting and reduced resolution at extreme corners). Stopped down to f/5.6 to f/8, it is excellent. I have a tendancy to set exposure comp anywhere from -0.3 to -0.7EV in bright sunny conditions. I also have a tendancy to overexpose from 1/3 to 2/3 stops and bring it back down in post to bring out all the highlight & shadow details. Just keep in mind that even at f/4, you will still get quite a bit of DoF with the 12-24mm. I got the Slim version of B+W CPL for that lens also, but I'm not really convinced that a standard would not have work, but I don't know that it would either.

Congrats and good luck with it.

Even though it's still in the 'very good' rating, the worst performance setting for that lens is 12mm at f/4 (vignetting and reduced resolution at extreme corners). Stopped down to f/5.6 to f/8, it is excellent. I have a tendancy to set exposure comp anywhere from -0.3 to -0.7EV in bright sunny conditions. I also have a tendancy to overexpose from 1/3 to 2/3 stops and bring it back down in post to bring out all the highlight & shadow details. Just keep in mind that even at f/4, you will still get quite a bit of DoF with the 12-24mm. I got the Slim version of B+W CPL for that lens also, but I'm not really convinced that a standard would not have work, but I don't know that it would either.

Congrats and good luck with it.

Thanks. I haven't ordered it yet. I will later today once I figure out everything else I need to order. I think the last thing I need to throw in is a GND filter, but I have no idea which one.

Edit: I just ordered the 12-24 and CF card, I will do more research on the GND filter before I purchase it. The order should arrive Wednesday. I paid for 2-day shipping to be absolutely positive it came before we leave on Friday.

Last edited:
you want to really help yourself grab a polarizer. it will knock down the exposure a touch but will also cut any sun glare either directly at the lens, or off the trucks.

i've shot some gravel rallies in the past and i WISHED i had a CP for them.

you want to really help yourself grab a polarizer. it will knock down the exposure a touch but will also cut any sun glare either directly at the lens, or off the trucks.

i've shot some gravel rallies in the past and i WISHED i had a CP for them.

I am thinking about ordering a Nikon slim polarizing filter. It's $150 but they are supposed to be the best out there, and absolutely no distortion or vignetting on the 12-24. I just wish I had thought about it before I finished my order for the Nikon 12-24 and extra CF memory card. Paying for 2-day shipping on a separate order is making me hesitate. I can't call them to change my order unless I wake up at 7am here (10 am there) before it ships out. :confused:

It looks like I may be shooting without a polarizing filter for this trip. I'll definitely have that on my list for my next order when I stock up on smaller items before I order my 70-200 next month. :D

If I find that I absolutely need a polarizing filter, I can just switch to my 18-200. I already have a filter for it.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back