Camera shopping in Tokyo??

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Hamiltonian, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Hamiltonian

Hamiltonian TPF Noob!

Hi:
    I am US based, brand new to this forum and will be traveling to Tokyo in October. Does it make any sense price wise to buy cameras in Tokyo. I own a Nikon N70 with a number of Nikor lenses. I have been to the Tokyo airport many times, but never inside the country. I do know that the Fuji film at the airport is priced very high.
    Somewhere I read that used cameras are cheap in Japan. Let me know what you know and if you have any stores to recommend.
    Thanks

2. BernieSC

BernieSC TPF Noob!

I think you would actually pay more for photo equipment there than in the US. Usually foreiners come to the US to buy rather than going to japan or other countries.

3. voodoocat

voodoocat ))<>(( Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I just read an article in shutterbug about the camera shops in Tokyo. They were very expensive compared to the going price for just about everything.

4. airgunr

airgunr TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I was in Tokyo about 10 years ago and went to the big electronics district. I think it's called "akiabara" (sp?) or something very close to that. The main train around the city goes right to it.

Anyway, I found the prices to be pretty high compared to those in the states. As others have indicated that is probably still true.

It is a cool place to go anyway as you will see stuff you'll never see in the states or at least not for a couple of years.