Camera Store Rant

JenR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to upgrade my small, annoying auto-everything camera. When I was in the camera store yesterday, I liked the Nikon D50, but I'm really considering the Panasonic FZ30 because it is *MUCH* easier on my tight wallet and the FZ30 lens is faster than the D50's kit lens. Once I told the saleguy that I wanted to take better pictures of my kids, he went on a rant about how "nobody who wants to take pictures of kids is really interested in photography." Umm, OK... He just lost my business. Some people are just not cut out for a job in sales...

~jen

Some people are just not cut out for a job in sales...
No kidding :lol: A few weeks ago, my wife walked into a cell phone store to buy a couple phones for us. They only worker was gone for lunch or something...so she was looking for someone to help her. The guy comes back and started yelling at her...thinking that she was snooping around. Well, that was the end of that sale.

For what it's worth...I'd really suggest saving up for a DSLR (like the D50) over a 'digi-cam' like the FZ30. Sure, there are several good things about a good digi-cam...but a DSLR really is a much better camera...especially if you are interested in photography. I've types out the differences and reason why I think a DSLR is better...many many times here...I'm sure you could dig up some good info with the search tool.

I would have walked out as well. Any body who is really interested in photography will take photos on anything they please, be it kids, bugs or navels - it don't matter.

dont want to start an argument or anything but I'll have to disagree here. I sell cameras as part of my job and we rarely get anyone in who is really interested in photography. its likely that the salesman just referred to the millions of people who just want a camera they can pick up and take a snap of the kids for memories sake, nothing more. they dont care how the camera works. I expect 90% of the cameras ive sold have never been switched from "auto" mode.

I sell cameras as part of my job and we rarely get anyone in who is really interested in photography. its likely that the salesman just referred to the millions of people who just want a camera they can pick up and take a snap of the kids for memories sake, nothing more. they dont care how the camera works. I expect 90% of the cameras ive sold have never been switched from "auto" mode.

That may be true...but that doesn't make the salesman in question any less of an idiot for 'ranting' to a potential customer.

I'll have to disagree here
Do you disagree that she was right to walk out on the salesman?

space said:
dont want to start an argument or anything but I'll have to disagree here. I sell cameras as part of my job and we rarely get anyone in who is really interested in photography. its likely that the salesman just referred to the millions of people who just want a camera they can pick up and take a snap of the kids for memories sake, nothing more. they dont care how the camera works. I expect 90% of the cameras ive sold have never been switched from "auto" mode.

I agree with Mike on this one...why would a customer support someone who apparently came across as rude by saying she really wasn't into photography. It doesn't matter how many of your customers really aren't into it, if she is potentially interested in buying an advanced camera the salesman shouldn't have said what he said. Bad business.

In my day job, I work at a large Harley-Davidson dealership, and I've worked many retail jobs before, so I'm fairly familiar with the business. What that salesman did is break one of the cardinal rules of retail. Regardless of your feelings toward ANY person in your store, you must AT ALL TIMES project a friendly and helpful manner to potential customers. Never badmouth your clientelle in front of anyone who might be a customer, or worse, a potential Secret Shopper. The bad review from that kind of thing could kill your business, not to mention driving away potential customers through simple word-of-mouth.

Regardless of whether or not the vast majority of people walking into your store are "into" photography or not, every single person is a potential customer, and you should treat them all accordingly. We had a customer come in about a year before I started working where I am. He mentioned to a salesperson that he wanted to buy a particular motorcycle. The salesman looked at the clothing the man was dressed in and said "You don't have enough money." The potential customer then proceeded to pull a roll of $100 bills from his pocket, about $20,000 in total, and said "You just lost a sale." He then went to one of our nearest competitors and bought his motorcycle. He came back recently to buy some parts for a project, and because of the positive dealings he had with me when I was working at the Parts counter, he has since bought a new motorcycle from us. You shouldn't care whether someone is buying a camera to turn professional or go out into the parking lot to smash it. A sale is a sale, and right is right. If it was me, I would have complained to the management of the store. That salesman displayed a horrendously unprofessional attitude.

In one of the camera shops in town I witnessed a salesman talking to a young person wanting a digital camera. It was pretty obvious that the 'customer' was bit bewildered with the choices and possibilities. The counter person litteraly slowed down and started asking a few pointed questions: what kind of photos do you like? where will you be using the camera most? will you be wanting to show the pictures in print or on computers? ...and similar type questions. After about half an hour my business there was done but the counter person was still spending the time required to help this young photographer make the right choice. I was impressed. Not to pisparage the discount places, but a decent camera shop will have staff that is knowledgable and helpful. I was impressed.

As the old saying goes "the customer isn't always right but he is still a customer."

One of my biggest pet peeves is bad service. Be it camera store, restaurant, or clothing store.
About two weeks ago I was looking at digital cameras and the guy helping me was pretty useless. After listening to him make no sense at all for about 10 minutes I turned around to see my boyfriend looking at light meters.
He's not a photographer but in 10 minutes that sales guy had my boyfriend... WANTING TO BUY A LIGHT METER!!!!
That's a good sales man!

EDIT: Not only did my bf want to buy a light meter but he also understood how they worked and the different quality between the 7-8 displays they had.

Patrice said:
In one of the camera shops in town I witnessed a salesman talking to a young person wanting a digital camera. It was pretty obvious that the 'customer' was bit bewildered with the choices and possibilities. The counter person litteraly slowed down and started asking a few pointed questions: what kind of photos do you like? where will you be using the camera most? will you be wanting to show the pictures in print or on computers? ...and similar type questions. After about half an hour my business there was done but the counter person was still spending the time required to help this young photographer make the right choice. I was impressed. Not to pisparage the discount places, but a decent camera shop will have staff that is knowledgable and helpful. I was impressed.

I have respect for salespersons like that. But I've also seen certain people at certain stores steering a customer to something that I know will not fit their needs, and saying things like, "oh, this camera is small and it has zoom. 9x zoom." Yeah...if you include digital zoom, which is worthless. At times like that, I want to step in, but I always refrain from doing so.

One of my biggest pet peeves is bad service.
For sure.
Here in Alberta, the economy is so hot right now...that there is a serious shortage of labor. Every retail store and restaurant is looking for people. That means that the staff they do have, is either under-qualified and gives you poor service...or more commonly, they are just understaffed and can't give you good service.

Back to salesmen/women...oftentimes, the salesperson is too good...and sells someone something that they don't need or want. I'm sure digital cameras and electronics in general are some of the worst. A lot of consumers don't really have enough information...so they rely on the salesperson to tell them...but often the salesperson will take advantage of that...to sell a more expensive item.

A truly good salesperson will find out what the customer wants or needs...and try to fit them with the right product...not just the most expensive. The benefit should be a satisfied customer and repeat business.

Big Mike, you're an Edmonton guy...

I bought my D50 about 3 weeks ago from the McBain on 75st and Whyte Ave, as it's right by my house. I knew what I wanted, so I went in there and just asked a few questions about what else I might need, etc.

The guy who was helping me? TOTAL. DOUCHEBAG. I've never dealt with someone so condescending in all my life. It was like he thought being behind the store counter was like being behind God's Official Camera Guy Pedestal. I wanted to deck him. And it's not like I was asking retarded questions - I know the basics of photography and what my needs were.

Yet I bought the camera cuz they were closing and I didn't want to go somewhere else. I think I WILL be going elsewhere for my other purchases though.

I remember when I was puttingh together my first wedding photography system Bronica's, Metz flashes, bracket, etc.. At the time I was an employee of Ritz but I did not want to wait to order the stuff from Ritz or the companies if I could get it at the 1 local shop left here in Pgh. that still carries pro gear in store. Well, I asked the guy the price on the Metz 60CT-1 that he had and his first question was in a real condescending way "what do you want to use that for" well immediately he ****ed me off but I persisted and asked the price again he kept being rude to me so I walked I always had that opinion of that store before and after that incident that the people in it look down on anyone who comes in there and personally I will never shop there again. I think there is a way to ask someone in a polite way how they will be using a particular item to make sure they are buying the right thing for their needs and there is the complete wrong way. All I do know is I was willing to forego a few hundred dollars in discounts to get mt things sooner and support a local shop but because of the treatment I recieved just that day they lost a few thousand dollars in sales and lots more that I have subsequently spent in new gear since then.

Most reactions

Back