jeffnyc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
jeffrey-james-accessories-terrariums.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi All!

I'm starting a new business and need to take product shots of my home accessories (i.e., items between 12" and 4').

I currently am shooting with my sad little old Casio Exilim. I have shot with SLRs at previous jobs and liked them. Would really love to be able to blur out backgrounds.

Can anyone suggest a camera for me? Something I could get on Ebay, Craigslist, etc. for a reasonable price for my needs?

Thank you!
Jeff

Last edited:
This is entirely too vague. If you want a DSLR, research them and find what best fits your needs. For product photography, get yourself a light box/light tent as well.

Welcome to the forum.

Product photography isn't too demanding on the camera, at least not if you are just putting the images on the web. Images for print, especially large printing, would require a decent to excellent camera.

So, if you are not printing the images, you could probably use any regular digi-cam. However, those little things don't help you get a shallow DOF (to blur the background). This is where a DSLR will really help. Also, the main way to control the DOF is the lens aperture, so it will really help if you get yourself a lens with a large maximum aperture (low F number). My suggestion would be something like a 50mm F1.8 lens.

You should be able to find a relatively cheap, entry level DSLR pretty easily. Look for any of the Canon Rebel series or Nikon D40, D50, D60 etc.

As with all other types of photography, the quality of the shots will depend on lighting...not just getting a good camera. So be sure to put some thought into that.

Thanks Kevin! As you can see, this is a beginner's forum, so I beg your forgiveness for being vague. I have a light box and small studio set-up.

I'm not on this forum for a product spec sheet (I can find that online), but photographer's experience with their cameras. No need to respond unless you have something helpful to say.

Last edited:
Thanks Kevin! As you can see, this is a beginner's forum, so I beg your forgiveness for being vague. I have a light box and small studio set-up.

I'm not on this forum for a product spec sheet (I can find that online), but photographer's experience with their cameras. No need to respond unless you have something helpful to say.

Sorry you didn't find my post helpful. With the additional detail, I second Big Mike's suggestion that some of the entry-level DSLRs should work just fine (Canon XS, Nikon D40, and probably some others from Sony, Olympus and such, though I'm not as familiar with those brands). You should be able to get very good results even with a kit zoom lens, but a faster prime lens like a 50mm F1.8 (again, like Mike suggested) might be something to look into later on.

The camera doesn't as much matter, as Mike says, any entry level DSLR will do the job more than adequately. If you are talking straight product shots for catalog (online or otherwise) display (vs. marketing shots which may be of a more artistic bent), you'll want a lens which doesn't distort -- 50mm is a good starting place. Longer focal lengths will visually compress images which may or may not be beneficial to what you're trying to achieve.

And if you're shooting in a lightbox setting, you'll also want a lens which doesn't exhibit a massive amount of chromatic aberration. White backgrounds can sometimes expose a lens's leaning toward CA. Some of this can be fixed in post, but if you don't have to deal with it at all, life is much happier. You'll be in a studio setting, so no reason to use cheap filters whatsoever (those can cause/exacerbate the problem).

Most reactions

Back