Camera talk with Acquaintances, Family and Friends

Just tell them that you really don't know about camera's in that price range and wouldn't be a good resource on the subject. As for the Canon vs Nikon debate, just be honest and tell them that it's a personal decision and that you are happy with the one that you made.

That's a short sweet answer to their question and no-one gets their feelings hurt.

A simple "what's your budget" is a great place to start. Most people DONT know much about cameras and are looking for an "expert" opinion. I would probably just explain the options in their budget and let them decide which is the best choice for their needs.
Totally agree with this!

It's easy to forget that when people ask this:
(1) they probably don't want to spend over $200; and,
(2) their standard of a 'good picture' is different than my standard of a 'good picture'.​

As soon as someone (typically an acquaintance at a party) finds out that you're into Photography, some people quite often try to talk about cameras.
How do you avoid that?

Funnier yet. Someone goes "so what's a good camera to get?" and you typically would offer advice like a camera that costs $500 or more. And they're like...oh...I was hoping to spend about $150.

and it's awkward all around.

Worse yet are the Canon & Nikon debates. Or the inevitable Sony user who feels left out.

How do you avoid camera conversations in real life?

I love to talk about the things that interest me, so I don't try to avoid these conversations at all. Now, if someone persists in being obtuse, I might find a way to politely leave said conversation.

My stock answer to the "what's a good camera to get" is: "It all depends on how much you want to spend and how involved you really want to get in the hobby." I usually then mention that while I use a DSLR, that unless you really intend to get serious about the hobby, it might be overkill, and that there are some excellent "bridge" cameras and even point-and-shoots out there that might do everything they need, if they just want something besides their phone to take a few pictures with.
Sometimes, they really are serious, and that starts a good discussion about what they might actually want to start with.

The Canon/Nikon/Your Brand Here debates and comments--it just depends on who's making them. If I know the person well enough, I'll make a joke out of it. If I don't know them that well, or think they might actually be serious, then I just say, "Well, I use Nikon because...(reasons)...but most every brand these days is so good that it's just a matter of what you prefer personally.

Now, if the individual is making some snide Canon vs. Nikon remark just to be a jerk? Then I just glare at them as if lasers could actually shoot out my eyes and sear their brains. And then I walk away. :D

The only person I talk to about camera equipment is my dentist.....we both have D7100's......other than that, I don't....same as when I was an IT Sys. Mgr. .....didn't discuss pc's because I don't like to give my opinion (when asked for) and then be argued with.....don't ask my thoughts, if you've already made up your mind (Gateway users were the worst)......

As soon as someone (typically an acquaintance at a party) finds out that you're into Photography, some people quite often try to talk about cameras.
How do you avoid that?
It really doesn't matter to me, so I don't try to avoid it at all. I just go with the flow. I'll talk about any subject that comes up, and let it flow into the next subject, like any conversation.

Funnier yet. Someone goes "so what's a good camera to get?" and you typically would offer advice like a camera that costs $500 or more. And they're like...oh...I was hoping to spend about $150.
My opinion and advice when asked by the non-photographer snapshot-masses, is: "they're all good these days - pick one that feels good in your hands, and it'll be just fine for you."

Worse yet are the Canon & Nikon debates. Or the inevitable Sony user who feels left out.
I don't do fanboy debates like that. If one were to break out, I suppose I'd just walk away and let the combatants have at it on their own.

I've never been subjected to the Canon/Nikon debate other than here on TPF, and I've never been asked about my recommendations for a camera. The only time anyone talks to me about photography is when they see my camera and want to talk about shooting film, and those are usually fairly interesting conversations. Just had one yesterday, as a matter of fact. Buzz and I were in a junk shop and we started talking to two men after one of them saw my Spotmatic and blurted out, "Wow, you still shoot film?" They were nice.

If anyone ever tried to ask my recommendation for a modern digital camera, my response is easy: "Don't ask me, what the hell do I know about it?"

An easy way to end those conversations usually is start bringing up camera terms. "Oh I like this camera because of the dynamic range, high ISO performance, AF responsiveness. I tend to manually blend exposures using luminosity masking and layer masking for noise reduction" etc.

Really just don't get involved. "i don't know anything about cameras i just take photos"

I have a PhD in photography.

That means the shutter button is "Push here, Dummy!"

I don't avoid it, I'm usually happy to talk photography with anyone.
don't confuse talking about cameras with talking about photography.
I don't mind talking about photography but I prefer to talk about the ideas behind the picture and the execution of an image.

I'm guessing you guys all must be professional photographers that do this for a living in a daily basis. Since it's just a hobby for me, I enjoy talking about cameras or photography. Sometimes I learn something, and sometimes I teach someone something.

If I'm at a party, I never know what conversation I'll be drawn into. Will I be taking about cars and motorcycles, camera gear, stock picks, guns and ammo, hunting and camping gear, etc? I enjoy seeing what people know, and what they don't know. Sometimes those conversations make for better, or funnier, conversations with someone else at a later date.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S®IV using Tapatalk

Anyone who can't recommend a good camera around $150 doesn't know much about cameras

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back