Camera Terms and Acronyms for Dummies

Status
Not open for further replies.
NEF - From Nikon itself:

Exclusive to Nikon cameras, the NEF is Nikon's RAW file format. RAW image files, sometimes referred to as digital negatives, contain all the image information captured by the camera's sensor, along with the image's metadata (the camera's identification and its settings, the lens used and other information). The NEF file is written to the memory card in either an uncompressed or "lossless" compressed form.
The primary benefit of writing images to the memory card in NEF format rather than TIFF or JPEG is that no in-camera processing for white balance, hue, tone and sharpening are applied to the NEF file; rather, those values are retained as instruction sets included in the file. You can change the instruction set as many times as you like without ever disturbing the original image's RAW data. Another benefit of the NEF file is that depending on the camera, it retains 12-bit or 14-bit data, resulting in an image with a far greater tonal range than an eight-bit JPEG or TIFF file.
After-capture processing of the NEF file by Nikon's Capture NX2 software, or other imaging programs, offers greater control over the final image than the processing of a JPEG or a TIFF. After processing, the NEF file can be saved as a TIFF, JPEG or again as a NEF with the addition of any applied Capture NX2 processing saved inside the file as a second or alternate instruction set. As long as the original NEF file is preserved, the "digital negative" remains untouched; processing a NEF file does not alter the original instruction set.

i understood what noise was, i was just saying throw it up there so people get a better grasp on what it is.

Can someone explain what "blowing out the sky" means? I've seen it mentioned a few times and am not sure what it means. I looked it up and have found when people have done it, but nothing to explain why or what.

Thanks!

Can someone explain what "blowing out the sky" means? I've seen it mentioned a few times and am not sure what it means. I looked it up and have found when people have done it, but nothing to explain why or what.

Thanks!
Basically it means that the scene you are trying to photograph has diverse elements that exceed the dynamic range of your system, digital or film, with the sky being a lot brighter than more interesting objects on the ground. Exposing for the ground objects results in a sky that looks completely overexposed or "blown out." The problem often manifests itself in B&W film when the film's sensitivity to blue (sky) is much greater than to red and green. Various forms of filtration (orange filters or polarized filters) are used to compensate for it.

Not really my area of expertise. I defer to anyone who wants to offer a better explanation.

Wow.. lots to take in, but gotta start somewhere

Sorry im a noob xD
How do you achieve "bokeh" and "Depth of field"?
Thanks

This has been a very good help to a new photographer! :)

Ashley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back