Camera to buy?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by jmetzger920, Sep 29, 2009.

1. jmetzger920

jmetzger920 TPF Noob!

Hello, I joined this forum in hope of some advice. My camera was recently stolen and I'm looking to get a new one. I had a Canon S5 is. I have been considering getting the same camera but was looking into maybe going more professional as a photographer and maybe doing weddings and portraits and so on. Would this camera work at all in the professional world with extra lenses, flash, etc. or should i completely get away from this and go for another camera? If i should change, any advice on a camera would be amazing.

2. Lyncca

Lyncca TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Before everyone attacks you about this, I will just say that no, I don't think the S5 would work as a professional camera. I also believe it is a hybrid or advanced point and shoot and not an actual DSLR, so I don't think you can even change the lenses on it.

3. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you are considering "going pro" just save the money and buy good gear. If you buy an entry level SLR you will only be wanting to upgrade because you will outgrow it. Many people (me included) use an entry level and have no plans of going beyond that. There was a thread on here a few weeks ago about the approximate cost to do professional work like weddings and portraits and to do them the right way you are looking at thousands of dollars. Many will tell you that photography is as much about the photographer as it is the equipment and I believe this too, however I would never try to charge people the going rate for a wedding using my XS and the kit lens because it will not fly.

4. jmetzger920

jmetzger920 TPF Noob!

thanks...i was fully prepared to be attacked about this but was hoping to be sympathized with as i am posting in the beginner section... and when i say "going more professional" i mean small side jobs for even smaller amounts of pay. (coming from nothing, the more can mean taking .50 pictures for a random guy on the street)...that being said, they do make attachments for additional lenses but nothing to incredibly high quality...any advice on what to start out with would be much appreciated...

5. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Camera:
    Nikon D700

Lenses:
    Nikon 14-24 f/2.8
    Nikon 24-70 f/2.8
    Nikon 70-200 f/2.8

Add an SB-900 or two and a softbox or similar.

About $10,000 should get you going.

6. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The key to making really nice, saleable images is more about the skill and knowledge of the photographer, than it is about how much their camera or lens cost.

A good camera body and the right lenses can make the photographers job easier by allowing a wide range of creativity.

Because of the Depth-of-Field (DOF) limitations of P&S cameras in general they are not suited to very much commercial work.

7. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    What's up. You didn't shill the D90.

Plus............
    Dude,

You should of cleared that booger there deep in your left nostril before you snapped that avatar.

Looks like you're getting ready to hork it on everyone. :lol:

8. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Heads up!:confused:

9. jmetzger920

jmetzger920 TPF Noob!

10. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The XS is a great entry level SLR. It can take great pictures with the kit lens and with better glass it can take awesome pictures. This is the same for most SLR's. From your updated description of "going pro" an XS with some good glass would be fine. If you do decide to upgrade to a better camera you will only need the body and can keep the glass that you have.
    Also go to youtube and search for the XS you can find some good videos on there.

11. jmetzger920

jmetzger920 TPF Noob!

Ok so i've done my research and pretty much decided on the canon xs...my next question is the starter lens...the one that typically comes with it (the canon 18-55mm ) or the Tamron 28-80mm?

12. Samanax

Samanax TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What's your budget for the lens?