Camera with best high ISO performance?

BTilson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Out of all the DSLR's out right now, which one has the best high ISO performance? I know it's probably going to be one of the high dollar pro bodies. I'm slowly but surely discovering that the most annoying and limiting factor of my D40 is the relatively abysmal high ISO performance. So does anyone have any idea which one is the best, hands down right now? By the time I can afford a new camera, there will probably be new bodies out, but I figured there's no harm in researching.

Thanks! :thumbup:

I would say Nikon D3/D700 but wait for the pixel peepers to join in to make sure.:wink:

I think currently midrange cameras - nikon is winning agaisnt canon. With the upper market cameras (ie your 1D area) I have no idea.
At the lower (beginner) end of the DSLR market I think Canon are still better than Nikon.

That said midrange canon did very well with the 50D as they doubled the MP count and yet kept the noise levels on par with the 40D - is a shame that they pushed the MP count though as it forced them to sacrifice some sharpness in shots to get that lower noise level - which means that the 50D really only works well with really sharp (pro) end lenses

The best at the moment are the Nikon D3 & D700. As Hammer used to say, "Can't touch this".

As a reasonable alternative, the D300 does well and probably the D90 (haven't done a whole lot of reading on it though).

**waits for the Canonites response**

Well.. the 5D MII hasn't been out long enough to really know how it stacks up. But yeh.. the D3 & D700 are probably king in high ISO performance. The fact that you are already shooting nikon is a plus.

IMO, trying to always have the best in the rat race of DSLRs is a complete and utter waste of time and money. Camera shops love it... they make a killin each and every time the top king is dethroned with the disciples of G.A.S form inline.

Last edited:
The full size examples I've seen comparing the Canon 40D and the 50D show a significant noise increase in for the 50D at ISOs 800+. Whether it shows in the prints is another thing, but all the reviewers I've read said there is no real world increase in image quality.

It depends on what the OP means by "best". The D3 (and I assume the D700) is slightly less noisy than the 5D, and the 5D is slightly sharper than the D3. There are plenty of other significant differences in the features set and how the bodies are set up, so which camera is "best" depends on who is using it. I use a 5D, but I'm sure I'd be quite thrilled to use a D3 or D700.

Well any and all of the high end bodies are going to be excellent cameras, as far as I am concerned. When it comes time to upgrade (likely a LONG while from now) I imagine I will stay with Nikon, especially if I continue to build up my collection of glass... But given my current collection (18-55 and 55-200) if I was to switch to Canon, I wouldn't be out of a huge chunk of money in lenses. So I guess what I'm really after is good high ISO performance when used with a nice high quality lens.

The point is really kind of moot at this point in time, since my financial situation doesn't allow the purchase of a multi-thousand dollar camera, but eventually it will allow that. I'm really just asking for my own curiosity more than anything else at this point.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back