Camera won't recognise AF lens

domot123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys

I'm having a problem with one of my lenses and hoping someone could give me some advice.

A few weeks ago I dropped my 50mm f1.8 lens in the sea :frown-new:. I let it dry out and it appeared to be working fine for a couple of weeks after. However some time last week I tried using it but my camera no longer seems to recognise it as a digital lens. When I turn the camera on I have to input the focal length and autofocus won't work. I also can't change the aperture anymore. There is just a dashed line where the aperture number used to be.

I use a pentax k50.

Does it sound like it's ruined? Any hope of saving it? I find it weird that it was working OK for so long after dropping it ...

Thanks for the help!

Umm, as in ... salt water Sea ?
Salt water is not a good thing to immerse any camera equipment in.

Hi guys

I'm having a problem with one of my lenses and hoping someone could give me some advice.

A few weeks ago I dropped my 50mm f1.8 lens in the sea :frown-new:. I let it dry out and it appeared to be working fine for a couple of weeks after. However some time last week I tried using it but my camera no longer seems to recognise it as a digital lens. When I turn the camera on I have to input the focal length and autofocus won't work. I also can't change the aperture anymore. There is just a dashed line where the aperture number used to be.

I use a pentax k50.

Does it sound like it's ruined? Any hope of saving it? I find it weird that it was working OK for so long after dropping it ...

Thanks for the help!

I can't say for sure, but you might be right it would need servicing to fix it. Salt water can do a number on electronics, and what will happen over time the salt starts corroding the terminals and/ or circuits inside the lens. If it's a really good lens, it might be worth fixing? If it's even possible, and takes a professional to do it.

And let us know what the final conclusion ends up being and if, and where you get it fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
over time the salt starts corroding the terminals and/ or circuits
Years ago, I dropped a pager in shallow salt water. It started corroding within a couple of hours.

You definitely need pro help to rebuild it; you might need to replace it.

If indeed salt corrosion is the issue (a very high probability) it's highly unlikely the lens can be repaired.

Hi guys

I use a pentax k50.

Thanks for the help!

Wanted to add. The rule of thumb is to be very careful with photography equipment near the beach, or saltwater. Always clean equipment after photographing any where there might be dust, sand, and sea spray in the air while photographing. Use lenses that are weather resistant and/ or sealed well against the elements.

Don't forget clean, clean, clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If indeed salt corrosion is the issue (a very high probability) it's highly unlikely the lens can be repaired.

Not that dropping in water is a good thing. Salt water would only be better if a caustic solution was the other choice. Like others have guessed, corrosion has already started. And once it started to build up. And you were using the lens. At some point the electric will end up jumping circuits because of the corrosion. And that's the end of the game. As we say with the electronics on the planes. Everything is fine until you let the smoke out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back