Camera?

Kross74

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm new here, I love taking pictures and have a lot to learn about taking pictures. I've always had a passion for photography but never done anything about it. Well...I'm finally going to! I'll like to know the type of digital camera is recommend for a beginner but a camera I can grow with as well?

Thanks in advance!:)

I think that depends on the type of camera you are looking for, and also your budget.

deena,

I have no clue on the type of camera! I'm a beginner without a clue...

I guess you should decide how often you will be using it. If you're only going to be using once every two week, I'd say get a compact camera from a bit higher standards, could be an Panasonic FZ7 for instance, or a Fuji S9600. Myself, I wouldn't go for a more simple compact... If using it more, you should consider getting a less expensive DSLR.

Just my 5 cents.

Hey Freddeh,

I'll be using it a lot! I already have a cheap point and shoot camera. I'm ready for something I can be proud of as a beginner but at the same time grow with. Whatever you experts recommend that's best for me as a beginner for one who loves taking pictures. Will be surely used...

Oh, if you're really serious about photography (and willing to put down some cash) then you migth want a DSLR.

the usual suspects:
-Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
-Nikon D80
-Pentax K10D
-Sony Alpha A100
-Olympus E-510

The more expensive gear:
-Canon EOS 30D
-Canon EOS 5D
-Nikon D200
-Nikon D2Xs

Allow part of the budget to go towards lenses, and try to get GOOD glass (I'm not here to put you in debt for life but good lenses are generally $500+)

Then don't forget a memory card, possibly a flash unit, tripod, filters, etc.

The above post, is exactly why I asked about budget LOL :)

I bought an Olympus Dual lens kit E-500 the new model is the E-510, it's been great, and it's a little less expensive, but the cons are the lenses for the Olympus SLR's tend to be a lot more expensive because they are four-thirds and not as popular, but you are buying good glass. The kit lenses are good though, so you have two great lenses for less than what a Canon or Nikon costs for the body alone.

However there are some great higher end digital cameras that are not quite slr's but pretty darn close that are great for beginners as well, and quite a bit cheaper too. Just depends on what you really want.

PS an DSLR is going to set you back at around 1000 bucks at a minimum.

That's the information I was looking for. The exact cameras! Instead of purchasing a new camera would you guys suggest purchasing "used" equipment? If so, what places are recommend to purchase "good used" equipment?

Thanks DSLR and Deena!

It is possible to buy good used equipment, maybe check out your local camera shop sometimes they have used equipment (not the big chains, but the local places), Or they may know of people who are selling cameras at the very least.

However buying used, is definitely a buyer beware situation especially on the internet.

I bought a canon refurbished unit from Adorama and haven't had a problem with it yet. I love my Rebel XT :)

I also purchased refurbished, only I did from B&H. Just follow the links at the top of the page. Make sure you are buying from a trusted reseller, I wouldn't recommend eBay or anything like that.

If I could buy my camera again, I wouldn't get the kit lens and would invest in good glass as the very first thing I did.

If you're just starting out, you might want to try the new Canon a570. It's not a DSLR, but has full manual controls and is priced at under $200 on the net. Great photo quality and awesome set of features (including image stabilization). Also supports external slave flash, underwater case, and conversion lenses if you want to expand later on down the road. It's recommended for beginner-intermediate and by some reviewers for DSLR owners wanting a compact secondary camera.

http://www.google.com/search?q=review+canon+a570

Most reactions

New Topics

Back