Cameras For Dummies

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by bethVSwild, Nov 6, 2009.

1. bethVSwild

bethVSwild TPF Noob!

I am a poor college student, so when I took on the challenge of saving up for a nice camera I knew this was going to be an ordeal. However, I have saved up about $500. I've borrowed my friends Nikon D90 and think that it is great, but I don't think I can afford that kind of camera. If anyone can help me narrow it down (for under $500) let me know. What I basically want in a camera, is that it can zoom in/focus as well at the D90, and that it's compatible with lots of lenses (don't know if this is even something that is universal with cameras), basically I want to save up for new lenses that have different effects etc) As you can see, I clearly don't know much about cameras/photography but it's something I want to learn about, and in order to do that I need a camera. Any suggestions on what to buy?

Thanks, any response would be appreciated.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

What you want is a Digital SLR camera (DSLR)....and not an 'SLR-Like' or 'bridge' camera.
    It might be tough to get a new DSLR for $500...but it might be possible. You could get a decent quality used one for that, no problem.
    Buying a digital SLR: Guides: Learn: Digital Photography Review

I'd suggest looking at the entry level models from Canon or Nikon. That's the Rebel series for Canon or something like the D40 or D3000 from Nikon. Or if you are looking to buy used, you might be able to swing a mid-level body (like the D90).
    Digital Cameras Side-by-Side, 5 cameras: Digital Photography Review

3. Atlas77

Atlas77 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Go used. buy yourself a nice used canon/nikon body. The D60 is going really cheap now used.

4. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    An alternative to used is 'Refurbished'.

Cameta Camera www.cameta.com is Nikon's authorized outlet for their refurbished cameras.

5. Atlas77

Atlas77 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    they also sell on ebay, great buys if you ask me. D90's start at .99 cents.

6. Patrice

Patrice No longer a newbie, moving up!

A friend just bought a new but now discontinued d80 with 18-70 lens for less than $500. Check around, some of the smaller shops might still have unsold stock.