Cameras?

Twinney

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm thinking about getting a new camera.
I do a lot of wildlife and usually the things I'm taking pictures of are moving very, very quickly.
A nice zoom and fast shutter are desirable, but I'd prefer not pay too much. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

My budget varies for the most part depending on the quality of the camera. My newest camera I paid something around $300 for, and it's alright, but better for close up pictures, the kind I never take. I suppose $400-$450 would be my max.
Buying a used camera wouldn't bother me of course.

Shutterspeed - do not worry about this in determining the camera. It's a pointless bit of information for dSLR's that generally are at 1/8000 at their fastest.

As for your budget - yes, you probably are going to have to go with used on that budget. I would look on eBay for a used D50 that go for about 300 or so. With that you can perhaps search for a telephoto, but for wildlife you're going to need a lot more than 450 can provide.

450 in the slr world wont get you much....try craigslist.com sometimes they have some cheaper equipment.....i fear this quickly turning into a canon versus nikon thread though.

what kind of camera do you have now, so we know what your are upgrading from. check out ebay, craigslist or amazon. having friends in the right stores also helps, i got my D40, Camera Bag, and mem. card for 500 flat

Did you want a Digital or Film camera ?
or whatever you can get to fit your requirements and budget ?

For 450, you can barely get a good camera, much less a good telephoto.
You best bet, would be to look at an olympus sp570 uz.

Looking at what you currently have, I would suggest you stretch your budget a little more, buy a Nikon D40 with kit lens and a Sigma, Tamron or Quantaray 70-300, if you shop around you could get that set-up for a little over $500. It's a great starter kit and is capable of doing what you want.

Then, over the coming years as you save more money you can build on that and buy bigger and better lenses.

Did you mean shutter speed or frames per second?

My camera now is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ4. It has a 10X optical zoom, but slowish shutter.
For me, the amount of frames per second don't matter, I just don't like taking a picture of something just to have it blurred.

I'll have to check around, I've been wanting some sort of Nikon or Canon Rebel lately, and stretching my budget wouldn't hurt.

Personally I'd go look at the Pentax Range. Their DSLRS are both cheap and SUPERB quality. Plus you can use a great range of lenses on them ( not just KAF but every Pentax fit lens since 1973, plus all the M42 lenses ) and on every one you'll have shake reduction and a superb body. K200D is an excellent choice for nature work on a budget as it is FULLY weather proofed and built to a pro level (arguably it's the best in it's price range). K20D is the best camera in it's price bracket but would require some stretching of your budget..

Most reactions

Back