Campaign manager approached me....

Sarah23

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
and wants me to do some pictures for someone running for a certain state government position (would rather not say what or who at this point)

Not really sure what kind of pictures he wants yet...but something for his website/literature for his campaign. Its a pretty high up position...so I need to do a good job.

Im sure I will have more specific questions later, but has anyone here done anything like this before?

Edit: A little bit more info...this would be vonulteer work, and I dont think I could associate it with my business at all. They could give me, as an individual photographer, credit though. Thoughts?

Ive done studio portraits for several Generals. That really sucks to do all that work to make him look good and not get paid, these people in high govt positions makes alot of money. Anyways like everything else its your choice.

Well, hes kind of a no-name at this point. Hes just going to be running against the current guy holding the position. I think its more of a grassroots campaign. I think if nothing else, it would be good for getting my name out there....since there are a lot of people working his campaign

So what is needed? I would take several head and shoulder shots with 3:1 lighting ratio and a backlight and take some photos with different colors in the background, black, blue, tan, and an american flag. Then a few enviromental portrait shots maybe around his house or any where else that I would scout out before hand. You wont get famous for it but you could put it in your portfolio and when you are talking with clients you can say Ive done this, this and that.

Yeah...his district is downtown, and he wants some down there, and some with the river in the background. I was thinking of getting a family shot too. (This is assuming hes married or has kids...I have no idea yet) The guy who recommended me should be calling me tonight to talk about it some more, so we will see I guess. Either way, I think it will be good to have under my belt, and maybe if he gets elected, he will hire me to do some more work . :)

If it is political just make sure you want to be associated with this persons political stance and opinions. I do some political work but I am very picky on whom I will work with. You can alienate clients having your work associated with a political view and the other side of the coin is you can pick up more work from that political spectrum. Just be very sure you are not going to regret being involved with this political figure. You may not care what they think but people are funny and even though you may hold no political affiliation once your work is associated with a political party it can be hard to disassociate yourself from them. Sometimes it makes no difference, but getting in political work even as photographer can have some long lasting consequences. One Federal Canadian party will not deal with me, but it is a decision I can live with because 3 others ones are willing to. Just a word of caution from someone who has had to deal with political fallout from association.

If it is political just make sure you want to be associated with this persons political stance and opinions. I do some political work but I am very picky on whom I will work with. You can alienate clients having your work associated with a political view and the other side of the coin is you can pick up more work from that political spectrum. Just be very sure you are not going to regret being involved with this political figure. You may not care what they think but people are funny and even though you may hold no political affiliation once your work is associated with a political party it can be hard to disassociate yourself from them. Sometimes it makes no difference, but getting in political work even as photographer can have some long lasting consequences. One Federal Canadian party will not deal with me, but it is a decision I can live with because 3 others ones are willing to. Just a word of caution from someone who has had to deal with political fallout from association.

This is great advice. I have checked out where he stands on issues, and I agree with him almost 100%...so...I guess THAT part I am not worried about. If anyone has a problem with it later one...well...I guess its their problem and I can't do anything about it. I have pretty strong opinions and we (me and hubby) are pretty involved in local politics. :)

While I dont want to alienate myself...I dont think I could/would do work for the "other side"....haha...so that wouldnt be an issue either I guess.

Good, was how I felt but just think it is a good idea to consider it. Some people try to stay neutral so thought it was something to consider. Go for it then, can lead to some very interesting work and opportunities. Some though just take the work and you never gets you anymore work.

If you do it as a donation as I do on occasion then ask for a receipt and claim it on your taxes as a political donation, what I do for the times I do free work for campaigns. I try and get them to pony up cash but sometimes when they are working with very limited budgets I do donate some work, helps come tax time. Good luck with it. I assume political donation laws are similar as far as taxes go but just check with your tax laws, it can save you a few dollars come tax time. I do it for any work I do for charities or politics. I get a receipt for the value or approximate value of the work. Your work has value so if you can get compensated for it might as well, same as a cash donation.

This is great advice. I have checked out where he stands on issues, and I agree with him almost 100%...so...I guess THAT part I am not worried about. If anyone has a problem with it later one...well...I guess its their problem and I can't do anything about it. I have pretty strong opinions and we (me and hubby) are pretty involved in local politics. :)

While I dont want to alienate myself...I dont think I could/would do work for the "other side"....haha...so that wouldnt be an issue either I guess.

that is remarkably important. I'd been looking at a similar sort of thing in terms of writing for a congressman but as soon as I saw his record I couldn't do it, even for an in...

Make sure you have down what you want to shoot and how exactly to setup your equipment. Do a practice run with a stand in if you have to. When you're shooting for clients, regardless of pay status, you don't want to make them wait with 50 test shots at each location so you can get your gear dialed in.

Thanks VI! I will do that! Great tip!

OK....so the guy called me and wants to do it tomorrow evening. I am going to scope out the area before he gets there. I think it will go good. We are just doing a few shots, so it shouldn't take too long. A couple in his district and a couple with him and his wife. Wish me luck!

Most reactions

Back