Can a Canon a570 Is take a picture like this?

driftking2k

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Point and shoots are good for macro photography. If you like the super close up look, it may work very well. I'll wait for someone to come along with a bit more explanation, but I was amazed at how close I can get with my point-and-shoot. Its a little complicated, but it has to do with the smaller image sensors they use making it not being as close ratio-wise to the subject... like I said, maybe someone else can explain it better.

Point and shoots are good for macro photography. If you like the super close up look, it may work very well. I'll wait for someone to come along with a bit more explanation, but I was amazed at how close I can get with my point-and-shoot. Its a little complicated, but it has to do with the smaller image sensors they use making it not being as close ratio-wise to the subject... like I said, maybe someone else can explain it better.

yeah they said, point and shoot are real good for macros.. but i really dunno the explanation behind it. canon powershot cams are good at those ^_^ just try it with ur a570.. and see for your self! ^_^

ive got noob macro shots from a canon.. twas the first time i used a canon powershot and the first time ive learned macro ^_^

its not so good.. but.. hmmm

bamboo.jpg

accessorize.jpg

They are good for macro, but not great at blurring the backgrounds mainly becuase you dont have the same control you do as with a DSLR

They are good for macro, but not great at blurring the backgrounds mainly becuase you dont have the same control you do as with a DSLR

correct ^_^

for point and shoot.. well.. its easy and fun.. uv got urself only auto ^_^ no manual settings for macro

hmm correct me if im wrong with this one :)

Well lens blur is "good" or "better" because of a few different factors including the number blades in the aperture diaphragm. :p But "controls" over the amount of blur (perhaps most noticeable in macro photography) are known as your F-stops (aka: f-number, focal ratio, f-ratio, or "relative aperture"). If your camera has a manual control for f then you have control over the amount of blur in the BG. No camera gives you control over the "quality" of blur afaik.

P&S cameras are said to be "easier" maybe at macro photography but almost any (literally almost every) DSLR lens can do very good and darn close close-ups with the addition of a $25 close-up corrective lens. We were just talking about that somewhere here abouts... Here it is: http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125843 at post number 30 or so.

Oh, and to answer the question :p yes the Canon a570 can take pics like that and with even lots more blur than those!

According to Steve's DC reviews the Canon a570 has a "Shooting Distance" (from the front of the lens) in "Normal AF" of 45cm (which is probably what the above pics were taken at? or close to it) and in "Macro AF" from 5cm - which will produce some wicked-cool BG blur if you set it to f2.6 - the camera's flattest setting.

The example photos (which I had to take out of the first post since they are not the OP's own photos, and which I had to change to links only) are presented as small images. Not even 800px wide. Thus they look VERY sharp, so I tend to say that yes, your Powershot will be able to get you shots of that quality if you go to the "macro" function (usually indicated by a flower-icon). Whether they render themselves to being enlarged to poster-sizes is yet to be questioned, of course.

But sure enough, also the compact digital cameras of the kind you're taking about, drifting, have the capacity to put the near subjects into clear focus, blurring out what's further behind.

They are not only good for macro. With the right light, my mum takes stunning landscapes in Africa with one of the little canons from time to time.

But that means you need to get yourself to AFRICA first, and that would be my own major obstacle... ;)

Most reactions

Back