Can a critique be positive and critical at the same time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for standing up for me, dearleader.

I do admit, one of my biggest flaws has always been keeping my mouth shut (err..hands from typing?)

I stand by my statement now that it's there, I think I called it like it was, but like my wife tells me sometimes I shouldn't let my anger at certain situations get the best of me, and I should just keep my thoughts to myself.

I just have a passion for trying my best to do what's right and fair for everyone, and when I feel someone is being blatantly and purposefully harmful or demeaning to others, it's hard for me to hold back.

EDIT - In my defense, notice I didn't even reply to this statement? I just let it go...:lol::lol::lol:

Don't get your panties in a bunch Marcus... I was a bit rude. :hugs:

EDIT PART II:

Crap - Senor Hound, sorry to hijack the thread, but I do think it is relevant.

But to the original question, to answer quite simply, yes it is possible to critique and be positive at the same time. I always try to point out the positives of a photo as well as the negatives as nice as I can without trying to sugarcoat. I try to offer what knowledge and experience I have, because often times mistakes I see are mistakes I've learned from with my own photos. Been there, done that type-thing.

Last edited:
.... and when I feel someone is being blatantly and purposefully harmful or demeaning to others, it's hard for me to hold back.
So calling someone an asshole that offers an different point of view from you is not demeaning?

EDIT - In my defense, notice I didn't even reply to this statement? I just let it go...:lol::lol::lol:
But yet, the tone has already been set by your retort. Wiggle as you like.......

Mind you Marcus, I am not having a go at you, but only pointing out the fallacies, to all that read this post, that are inherent within us all. I am no better than you and quite likely to make the same pointed discourse. I merely suggest to you that in the future, when you select a thread to prove a point, that you are a bit more discriminate to one that doesn't bite you in the ass.

While I'm at it........ This is such a troll thread........ Why does this OP keep getting by with all these passive aggresive tendancies without any admonishing? Seemingly, the only purpose this person enjoys is to stir controversy in the many, many threads generated by this individual.

I shall now go back to my bridge and live happily underneath.

So calling someone an asshole that offers an different point of view from you is not demeaning?

But yet, the tone has already been set by your retort. Wiggle as you like.......

Ok, Did you read my whole post? Your point was taken, I addressed it. But you keep repeating your main point. I thought I was being pretty clear that I was pointing out my own flaws and sometimes let my thoughts fly when maybe it's best not to.

Also, like dearleader said - the tone had already been set, and not by myself.

"Wiggle as you like" - I was merely trying to add some humor to the situation and slightly poking fun at myself, but whatever.

Mind you Marcus, I am not having a go at you, but only pointing out the fallacies, to all that read this post, that are inherent within us all. I am no better than you and quite likely to make the same pointed discourse. I merely suggest to you that in the future, when you select a thread to prove a point, that you are a bit more discriminate to one that doesn't bite you in the ass.
But I feel like you are having a go at me - anyway, like I said, I stand by my statement - the poster's remarks fully warranted it - can you tell me he was not being an asshole?

Trolls rejoice when you call them assholes. They live for the reactions. The
report.gif
button is your friend (use with moderation, though).

While I'm at it........ This is such a troll thread........ Why does this OP keep getting by with all these passive aggresive tendancies without any admonishing? Seemingly, the only purpose this person enjoys is to stir controversy in the many, many threads generated by this individual.

I shall now go back to my bridge and live happily underneath.

:lol: You have excellent linguistic abilities...

Trolls rejoice when you call them assholes. They live for the reactions. The
report.gif
button is your friend (use with moderation, though).

Pardon my ignorance but what does the ignore button actually do? If I ignore as user does that mean I can not see their posts? Doesn't that make reading some threads confusing if the ignored user is involved? If the ignored user starts a thread am I unable to see it?

To the op - sorry for the hijack but this thread now appears doomed anyways

Edit : Hello? ... Can anybody see me? or am I on everyones ignore list

Here's a good example right here that I remember recently. The original tactless comment was #3. Unfortunately the original photo is gone but I think the comment speaks for itself:
http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124963&highlight=san+diego

And here's another, #6 (If that's not a perfect example of a rude comment, I don't know what is)
http://thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122152&highlight=wack

(the search function here is actually pretty good, I'm surprised I found these right away)

I know there are plenty more I've seen but don't remember what they were or how to find them.
Right, so I only pointed out one issue where you were attempting to rise above the fray, but yet you dissolve into the most common argument. Why is that? Is it a guttural insistence that provokes those emotions? Is it a matter of pride to be found justified in your thought process? It really has no effect after you name call the person in which you are attempting to change their point of view. All the excuses afterwards of your insults to the offender have very little effect on the person you are trying to influence since you have ultimately decided to position yourself on a level above that of the person you are attempting to admonish.

Ok, Did you read my whole post? Your point was taken, I addressed it. But you keep repeating your main point. I thought I was being pretty clear that I was pointing out my own flaws and sometimes let my thoughts fly when maybe it's best not to.

Also, like dearleader said - the tone had already been set, and not by myself.

"Wiggle as you like" - I was merely trying to add some humor to the situation and slightly poking fun at myself, but whatever.

But I feel like you are having a go at me - anyway, like I said, I stand by my statement - the poster's remarks fully warranted it - can you tell me he was not being an asshole?
But yet, calling someone that you consider an asshole from the onset will never get you in the advantageous position of being in the lead. It is up to you to take the higher ground.

The remainder of your argument is a non-issue. Again, as I have already stated, the tone that had been set by you is unrecoverable, the pain has already been injected.

Oh sister morphine, turn my nightmares into dreams.

To the op - sorry for the hijack but this thread now appears doomed anyways

I'm afraid you are very right here, dEARlEADER ... when members use other members' posts to turn them into personal attacks, it will inevitably lead to the end of the thread.

Tip to Señor: search for "objective critique", "positive critique" and other such words under the Search function and you will see that this matter has been discussed on here many, many, many times before. So there's a lot of reading material there already which might help you find your answer on this topic.

So, where's all the padlocks again? Ah! Here they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back