Can anyone date this film?

Soulz3urn3lack

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I found these undeveloped rolls of film in an old kodak darkroom graduated glass at goodwill today. I was wondering what you all thought their age was? I was guessing maybe mid to early 50's.

I want to get them developed to see if anything will come of them if possible.

112_zpscaeacfcb.jpg

1122_zpse298171b.jpg

I shot tons of Ilford HP5 back in the 70's. The other three I don't recognize.

Late 1970's, like 1979, to early 1980';s, like 1984 at the latest. I recognize the HP5 labeling, and I also recongize the BULK film reloadable cassette, which we shot tons of bulk film through in 84-1987 at U of O. My date estimate? 1978-1980. The one slide film is E-6 process, so the 1950's estimate is way too early. Also, the one film shows a 20-exposure roll...that as I RECALL, and I could be off, was around 1977 or so that the 24 exposure roll took over from the 20-shot roll.

Last edited:
The tan one with "ASA_____" makes me think it could be anything since that's not known.... my guess is it's been spooled up by the photographer.
E-6 is the same process used for Ektachrome, so it's still around.

As for dating them, I'll pass.... I prefer girls instead.

My guess was going to be a little earlier than Derrel's but not by much - I was going to suggest late 70s to early 80s. I did some poking around to see exactly when ASA speed ratings were superseded by ISO, and that seems to have been somewhere between 1984-1986. There is also a DIN rating on that HP5 cannister and that rating was also superseded in the 80s but I didn't find an exact year.

Here's something I found about the Revue films: Revue Dia CR 100 - Flower-Power-Hippie-Film - Lomography

When did they stop using the metal top cylinders? Also thanks for the info, I was hoping it was earlier but 70's and 80's aren't bad either lol. They all came with an old developing tank from the 50's so I assumed.

I wasn't sure but the more I look at the silver revue film it looks like it says 76exp which I assume is 1976 expiration? (I couldn't hardly tell because it's scratched right on the first number and hard to see)

ALSO sorry to keep adding stuff in but where do you all suggest I have these sent to? Any certain developer who does better with old film? I really don't want walgreens or walmart to screw these up if there's some possible gold on here.

I'd send them out to a more reputable lab, yes. Dwayne's, darkroom.com, and maybe send the HP5 directly to the California Ilford lab.

Another vote for Dwayne's.

ALSO sorry to keep adding stuff in but where do you all suggest I have these sent to? Any certain developer who does better with old film? I really don't want walgreens or walmart to screw these up if there's some possible gold on here.
They'll just send them to Dwayne's.

The HP5 is B&W, the Revue (the one with the silver label) is E6 - places like Walmart or Walgreens have never done that in-house anyway. The other two rolls, I can't read well enough to tell what it is. The one that looks like it was meant to be filled out - is there anything written in the spaces? That one might be tricky to develop, because - as mentioned, it really could be anything.

There is a lab that specializes in old film, though I've never used them before.
Old Still Film Processing | Film Rescue International

all those cannisters look to be reloadable--if you tap the extended spool-end on the table they will pop open. Revue Color was likely rebranded agfachrome--that is IF someone hasn't popped these open already & reloaded whatever into them

If you had been in UK I would have developed it for you free

This could be pretty cool. Post up when its developed

Most reactions

New Topics

Back