Can anyone give me some advice?

stone_family3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm starting college again and my major is digital graphic design with a minor in digital photography.

I can get through my first quarter with my 35mm manual camera and my P&S nikon coolpix L18.

However the second quarter requires a DSLR camera and I'm at a loss as to which would be best. I have a limit of $500 so I can buy a really nice new one or a great used one. I'm open to both options.

I've been looking at the Nikon D40 which seems very nice but I'd like some more reviews on it if possible.

Ideally I really want the Nikon D3 but I can't afford $4,999.95. At least not yet.

Do you have any reviews of the Nikon D40 or can you recommend anything different?

Welcome to the forum.

Seeing as this is what you are taking in college (and presumably building a career in), can't you stretch your budget for a better camera and a decent lens or two?

I'd suggest looking at the mid range cameras from Canon/Nikon. For example, the Canon 50D/7D or Nikon D90/D300. Or maybe consider going full frame with a Canon 5D or Nikon D700.

It may be a lot of money for you right now, but if you use it for several years of college, it's a pretty good investment.

I agree with Mike, plus since you say you are starting college again, I assume you have income other than student loans and the cost of the camera should be a tax right off. Just a thought, it may be more affordable than you think.

Welcome to the forum.

Seeing as this is what you are taking in college (and presumably building a career in), can't you stretch your budget for a better camera and a decent lens or two?

I'd suggest looking at the mid range cameras from Canon/Nikon. For example, the Canon 50D/7D or Nikon D90/D300. Or maybe consider going full frame with a Canon 5D or Nikon D700.

It may be a lot of money for you right now, but if you use it for several years of college, it's a pretty good investment.

^^

Or even go with a used mid level camera. Something like a used D80-D90 or 40D. You'll get more features, better build quality, and a better camera overall. Not to mention, not all current Nikon lenses will AF with the entry level Nikons.

You can find deals with used 40D's for about $600-$700. That's a very solid camera for the price.

www.photography-on-the.net Check out the classified section there.

A mid-level Canon or Nikon body would probably be easier to use than an entry level; both companies make entry-level cameras without a separate aperture control, which is less convenient than a body with a front-mounted aperture control. A used Nikon D80's out of camera output is punchier and more vibrant than the D90's output, which is a lot more neutral.

On the other hand, the D40 and D60 are very affordable,small,and light, and will mount and shoot with basically any Nikon lens made since 1959, so the D40 and D60 open up 30 million or so used manual focusing lenses, most of which are not compatible with other entry-level or mid-level Nikon bodies,either film or digital.

I hope you enjoy your new educational opportunities.

Unfortunately no this is all grant money so the price is kind of firm. I will look into them to see if I can't find a good deal at a used camera store in my area or CL. My first 3-4 quarters of college are going to be tight, in my last 2 quarters I'll have less classes and more spending money which I hope to use to upgrade to a better camera. Also I might have more money depending on if they count my credits from 7 years ago in B&W and Color film photography. If that is the case I'll be able to sell my 35mm to put some money towards a better DSLR.

I wish I would have finished college when I was single and not a mom but I didn't so now I have to spend very very wisely to make sure my child's needs are met.

Thanks for all your help!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back