Can anyone not famous sell a photo ebook?

yellow ant

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Can you actually sell a photo ebook unless you are a famous in the photography world, have a massive following or a niche photographer?

Absolutely. Whether you can sell MORE than one remains to be seen. :D

If you have the marketing skills, AND the publishing know-how, I would guess you can have a smattering of success with an ebook. I have two friends who have actually done quite while with some non-photography related self-publish ebooks. One has written several children's books and the other one was, if I remember right, some sort of more technical guide to something or another.

Have a look at places like blurb and see the hundreds, if not thousands, of better than decent photo books done by amateurs.

About 2 years ago I was talking to an Annapolis photographer who lived on coffee table books of pictures and he said that sales were off by more than 50%.

Last edited:
Yep, those were the issues I am thinking off. You might sell some but not many unless its amazing and now that so many photos are being taken why would anyone buy a photo?

Yep, those were the issues I am thinking off. You might sell some but not many unless its amazing and now that so many photos are being taken why would anyone buy a photo?

You'd be surprised; there ARE people out there with more money than sense. For instance, several people have even bought MY photos. :D
LOL

I'd say it really depends on what your goals are, and how good your marketing skills are, but yeah, overall, I wouldn't expect to start raking in the dough, ESPECIALLY on an ebook. I don't know if I've ever spent more than about $3 on an ebook. Oh wait, yes I have, once, but that was the DAM book (Digital Asset Management).

Still, I can't say I haven't considered giving it a go. Not to really make any money, but if I even sell one, then I can add "published author" to my list of accolades, much the way I can claim to be an "award-winning" photographer because I've won ribbons at the regional fair, and even won TPF's POTM once! LOL

You might be able to if you are great at marketing. I primarily purchase ebooks now since I just don't have the room to buy DTB's (I still purchase the DTB'S of my fav authors, I'm one of those that can't get rid of books) and carrying around an ereader is a lot lighter than carrying around a 1,000 page DTB. I also always have a new book to read if I finish one off and am still sitting in the waiting room at the Dr's office. As for an ebook of photos - I wouldn't buy it. Not because it's of photos but because it's an ebook of photos. If I buy a book of photos I want it to be a decent size so I van actually "see" the photos. Also, not all ereaders lend themselves to photos/illustrations.

Over night successes are generally preceded by years and years of pre-success work.

It's just about putting enough great images together, a good layout and a lot of marketing. One of our local chain book stores has a section of self published books. They take a piece of the action, although I'm not sure how much. I did a fitness book for photographers a few years ago, had it published by blurb, got a single copy for myself and had plans to make some improvements to it, I should have done the next one on procrastination.

Have a look at places like blurb and see the hundreds, if not thousands, of better than decent photo books done by amateurs.

About 2 years ago I was talking to an Annapolis photographer who lived on coffee table books of pictures and he said that sails were off by more than 50%.

The last time my sails were off by 50% I ended up in New Caledonia instead of Fiji. :allteeth:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back