Can anyone recommend this bag?

Photog38

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am considering this bag:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/392368-REG/Lowepro_34737_SlingShot_200_AW_Bag.html
Can anyone recommend it? It sounds like a great bag, but since I live in sort of a small town, I can't just go into a store and look at it. I currently have the 30D and the 17-85mm and the 50mm 1.8II. I plan on getting a flash and probably another lens(es) someday, but for now I just have the body and two lenses.
I have a larger bag, but it is a little too bulky for hiking. Backpacks seem inconvenient. This bag looks ideal. If anyone owns or has used this bag, I'd love to hear what you have to say about it. ;)

Those are definitely nice bags, and the 200AW is probably about the perfect size. I have the larger 300AW which I used for an international trip a few months ago and it was a Godsend. Made getting through airports and security a cinch, but honestly it's overkill for my 'domestic' needs and I don't travel internationally all that much anymore. That said the 200AW is probably what I'll downgrade too. I'll have to try to find someone willing to swap one of these days I guess. :)

I have one... It just barely fits a 1 series 24-105L (mounted) and a 100-400L. The bag is a good compromise between backpacks and shoulder bags but all of the weight is still on one shoulder... really heavy load can be a bit sore on the shoulder after a long day. The bag's design also doesn't allow you to switch shoulders.

If you use the hip straps it'll distribute the load a lot more evenly in my experience.

Thanks. :DI have the Tamrac 5606 and it is too bulky for hiking. The Lowepro slingshot 100 seems a little small, and that's why I'm looking at the 200. I have heard good things about this bag, but I just wanted to get a few more opinions.;)

I have had the Slingshot 200 for a couple weeks now. I haven't had a chance to hike with it, but the bit I have used it I really like it!!

I have my Canon Xt with 28-135 IS mounted, as well as my Tamron 70-300, Sigma 18-50 f2.8, a set of extension tubes and nifty fifty, 430 EX flash, and some other small stuff in there. It is a tight fit, but it works!! I can have any order of lenses on the body and they still all fit!

I like the quick access to the camera by sliding the bag around your shoulder!

If you have to change lenses it is probably no quicker than a back pack, but I still really like it!

Cheers

The Slingshot 200AW is a good bag, but you might out grow it pretty soon. I could fit my 30D w battery grip, a 17-55 f2,8 attached, a flash and my trusty 70-200L f4,0 and some small extra equipment inside it but absolutely nothing more. One single extra lens would have made the bag explode. I guess your lenses are a little bit smaller than mine so if you are not about to buy yourself some big tele lens it might work for you.

Since I sometimes travel with my gear I needed something slightly bigger and sturdier and I bought the Kata R-103. The padding on the Slingshot is very thin and flimsy in comparison. And it has a compartment for my laptop, something I really missed in the Slingshot.

I've had the Slingshot 100 (If I can afford enough lenses / accessories to outgrow it, I can afford a bigger bag too) for a week or so now and am happy with it. I like the way it sits over my shoulder - I tried the Tamrac Velocity series, and didn't like the sit over the shoulder, it wasn't as comfortable.

It's smaller than the 200, and I've only got a K10D with a 17-70 2.8-4.5 on it, so weight on one shoulder isn't an issue, though I can see how it might be with more gear in a bigger bag.... It's still a pretty nice, wide, comfortable strap though.

Most reactions

Back