Can anyone suggest an affordable fisheye lens for Nikon D50

vishalmerani

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I have been searching for a fisheye lens for ny nikon d50 but it seems that the only options are:

Nikon 10.5mm f/2.8G ED AF DX Fisheye Nikkor Lens ~$650
Sigma 10mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM Fisheye Lens ~$650
Opteka 6.5mm f/3.5 Manual Focus Aspherical Fisheye Lens ~$300
Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 Aspherical Fisheye Manual Focus Lens ~$300

Besides these, there are some under $50 adapters that arent really fisheye lenses and online reviews for these arent too nice.

Is there a cheaper option available for getting a good fisheye lens? Are the Rokinon and Obteka lenses good?

EDIT: I have been doing some more research and the samyang 8 mm looks pretty good. http://www.flickr.com/photos/5y12u3k/sets/72157619250695100/

Last edited:
Not really.

Fisheye lenses are specialty lenses, not mainstream lenses, so not many get made (or sold) and they have little profit potential for the lens makers.

Keep an eye on the used market. A lot of the people who buy a fisheye, soon tire of the novelty and sell.

Not really.

:lol: Was my first thought when I was reading the post. Keith nailed it. There are many people who see photos shot with the fishes and all of a sudden want one. Then when getting one and using it for a short time dont like the results. I actually use mine alot, I have the 10.5 but, I have learned what it is good for and, when to use it. Here is my suggestion depending on where you live, if you have any stores that rent lenses, rent it and try it first. I have known many people that find it is novel but, then it wears off quickly when they cant get what they want. If they will rent to you there are some places that let you rent to buy, costs are slightly higher but, it is a good way to get glass that you want.

Most reactions

Back