Can anyone tell me what happened?

ajmall

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photodrew.co.uk
DSC_0276.jpg

This was the only one in the set i took that did this? Is it just a random error or something specific?

Looks like a print to me, but I've now real idea if it is or not. The more info you give, the more help people can be. You'll need to give us lots of details.

Without sufficient details, I'll have to take out my crystal ball and conjure up some possibilities.

So here they are:

1. If you had a film camera, I would suspect the slight possibility of a light leak somewhere along the line, because of the "fog"/discoloration (green and other colors) near the center of the photograph which are running in a vertical position - top to bottom;

2. Since you - apparently - are using a digital camera, one might suspect "flare" due to the internal elements of the lens reflecting to and fro within the lens elements. One would normally find this type of internal flare when shooting into or near into a light source or the sun. Unfortunately, it appears to be an overcast day and that cause can be elminated, except for the roundish red spot near the bottom of the photograph, which does make it puzzling.

If this is on the negative or on your digitial image, then I suspect that something internal is amiss.

3. However, if this shows up only on the print, then somewhere along the printing, developing, etc. process, something went amiss in which case, you should contact the facility that printed this and inquire as to a solution.

Hope this crystal ball analysis is somewhat useful.

Bill

I think God is telling you not get part of a sign in your pond pictures.

Or maybe a digital printer was having an ink issue and splodged some extra on one print.

It looks an awful lot like a light leak I had on a Hasselblad 500CM, where the dark slide flap was about a micron off being sealed properly. Obviously this isn't what you're using, but if it's a light leak I'd say the gap is going to be very very small.

Then again, it does bear a resemblence to heavy lens flare, although I've not seen flare leave a vertical line like that.... it looks a bit like a cat's eye!

Rob

I don't think it looks like a printing error. For the main reason that you say it is only on one print. When getting it printed - the paper comes from a roll. The way the green line ends at the bottom, I would expect if it were a printing error, the green line would continue on the next photo.

I mean - it doesnt slowly fade out at the bottom like it fades in at the top. I doubt it would just stop on the paper.

I would be taking it back to the store if I were you. It sounds like that one is having some troubles that it shouldn't be having. With that and the mirror locking up, it sounds like you have a faulty mirror/shutter mechanism. When you spend that much money on a camera, you shouldn't be having problems like that, and better yet, you shouldn't have to deal with those problems of they do happen.

As wharrison pointed out, it's real easy to tell if it is a camera problem or a printing problem. Just look at the image on your camera LCD or computer. That way you can eliminate half of this speculation.

Most reactions

Back