can anyone

lakers808

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
help me out ? .... i been reading on wikipedia and its saying that the nikon d40,d60,d3000,d5000.. doesnt have a autofocus motor in those cameras of the bodies .. so does that mean its only on the d90?... does it matter if it has that and if u dont have it in ur camera?.. i made my first mistake and im a starting photographer omg..

Your right, any camera below the D90 does not have a built in focusing motor.

What that means is only nikons AF-I and AF-S lenses will auto focus on the nikon body, sure you could mount a non AF-I/AF-S on your body and use it, you just wont be able to autofocus it.

Hope that helps.

(and for the future dont use wikipedia as a reasearch site :lol:)

dam i did all my research before i bought my nikon d40 and i didnt even see that mistake right in front of me .. i just made a mistake .. why whats wrong with that site? .. so nikon d90 has a autofocus motor?

dam i did all my research before i bought my nikon d40 and i didnt even see that mistake right in front of me .. i just made a mistake .. why whats wrong with that site? .. so nikon d90 has a autofocus motor?

You didnt make a mistake, just because it dosent have a built in motor does not mean you made the wrong choice. You just cant autofocus the non AF-I and AF-S lenses.

That was a huge factor in buying my D90, the autofocus motor sold it for me.

And yes, the D90 has a built in motor.

Simply put if the camera body doesn't have a focus motor built in, you will have to buy lenses with the motors in them, or use manual focus.

Most of the newer nikon lenses will have the motor built in I think.

so if u take out ur factory lens and u put in another lens without the autofocus switch . u can alwayz set it to autofocus?...

so if u take out ur factory lens and u put in another lens without the autofocus switch . u can alwayz set it to autofocus?...

1. Whats a factory lens? Dont you mean kit lens?

2. You can click anything to autofocus, but it will not focus on your D40 unless it has a built in motor.

Here is a list of Nikon's current lenses that will auto focus on a D40/D40x/D60/D3000/D5000

The deal about the focus motor is a non-issue. Canon doesn't make ANY cameras that have a focus motor in the body.

Virtually any Nikon lens made since late 1959 will work on the D40/D40x/D60/D3000/D5000 cameras. Some won't AF, some won't meter, some won't do either. There are many situations where it's best to turn off auto focus and do it manually too.

Wide-Angle

• AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G
Standard

Telephoto

Super Telephoto

Wide-Angle Zoom

Standard Zoom

High Power Zoom

Close-Up

Last edited:

Not true, the D80 also has a focusing motor ;)

Im talking up to date cameras that he listed.

but yes I will admit my mistake. The D80 does have a focusing motor. ;)

And wow KmH, you put a lot of work into your posts. Good job with the list. :thumbup:

it's you not u.

So does the D70 and D50 but those cameras haven't been offered new for several years now.

Exactly I was mentioning up to date cameras.

it's you not u.

The poster is obviously young, I mind you anyone can sign up to this forum. I like to ignore the mis-spelling and ignorance. ;)

thnx for the tips... dam kinda mad now .. all that research i did ..

dont be mad man, there are plenty of lenses that will autofocus with your camera. just not old ones. the d40 is an extremely capable camera. GREAT to learn on and now you can invest all that money you saved on a body into better lenses!
perk up. post some pictures.

Most reactions

Back