Can I post these?

JTHphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Can I post photos that I took at a MLB game last night? of the players, etc? I guess the question would apply for any professional sporting event... I don't have releases or permission from MLB, or does my ticket grant me the right to take photos?

I'm not a lawyer and I don't know for sure...but I think that as long as it's not used for profit...it falls under Fair Use, and you can post/publish them.

thanks mike... i just found this on the D'Backs website but it doesn't really help me much... is this saying i can post them as long as no action is recorded? what fun is that? and what qualifies as action?

CAMERAS/VIDEO RECORDERS
Photographic equipment and hand-held video cameras for personal use may be brought into the ballpark, provided game action is not recorded, as mandated by Major League Baseball. Cameras are authorized with a lens that does not exceed 8 inches extended or exceed a diameter of 4 inches (hoods are not included in measurements). Flash photography and camera support pods are not permitted. We ask that you are courteous of those around you when taking pictures.

oh and i think i am already in violation as i'm sure my 75 - 300 extends beyond 8"...

as long as it's not used for profit...it falls under Fair Use, and you can post/publish them.
Exactly.
I'm sure you were not the only spectator with a camera. :)

But it however would be an issue if the ticket/rules forbade you from taking photos.

MLB, NFL, etc., are very tight about how images of the teams are used. It's not exactly a public event since you have to pay to enter, so they may very well be able to prevent you from displaying any images taken there. I wouldn't go by opinions from a web board (no offense to any of us, but most of us aren't lawyers), especially when getting it wrong can get you a nasty fine.

I was under the impression that photographs are the property of the photographer, whether or not they were taken legally, to do what he/she pleases with them. There was a thread on the legal issues of photography floating around.

midget patrol said:
I was under the impression that photographs are the property of the photographer, whether or not they were taken legally, to do what he/she pleases with them. There was a thread on the legal issues of photography floating around.
You may own the copyright, but you need a release from the subjects except for under specific circumstances. He may be perfectly fine posting them here, but I'm no lawyer.

midget patrol said:
A live event is copyrighted to the organizer (team, band etc) for at less 90 years after the event, the photographer’s copyright is good for I think 70 after their death

Fair Use is when you sample something that is copyrighted. Review and Commentary are the most commonly used forms of Fair Use. In the case of a sporting even a photographer could sale the photos to newspaper or magazines, but not to an advertising/marketing firm.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back