Can I use a pic of a person for a website?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by keith204, Jul 22, 2008.

1. keith204

keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm about to do a web design for a cage fighting promoter. Can I use one of the photos I took from the event, as a graphic for the website? I mean, where is the line between "event" and "model"? What I'd like to do is have the fighter in the ring as part of the banner, sort of sticking out above it (head/shoulders). But, I don't want to do anything illegal, or that would require a model release. This would simply be an action shot from a fight the same promoter promoted.

2. reg

reg TPF Noob!

Stuck inside of Mobile with the GTFO Blues Again
    Photos OK to edit
    If the site's for the promoter, then that means you should be able to get in contact with the person photographed. Why not just ask the guy if you can use his photo?

3. zandman

zandman TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yea, that's the easiest shot, like email or call him and ask if it's fine with him to use his photo for ur website.

4. MACollum

MACollum TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Check with the promoter. Sometimes there are stipulations for the people participating in the event that they have to allow for use of their image for promotion purposes as part of using the venue in the first place. The promoter and the fighters probably had some sort of contract.

5. RyanLilly

RyanLilly No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Try to find out from the promoter, I would think that there is a stipulation in the contract that participants in the event give this kind of consent automatically, just like in professional sports, where certain publications have photography contracts at particular games etc.