Can someone Enlighten me On This Light Effect (NSFW)

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by chrisburke, Jan 11, 2009.

1. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    my wife asked me today if her and I could do some shots of us to put up in our room (no clue, something she heard on Oprah) and these are the style she is wanting... i'm wondering how/ where to position the light to get this look...

http://www.lovechess.nl/artoflove/archives/couples/erotic.jpg

is the flash just merely above them>?? and if so, how is it not lighting up the whole scene>

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Overhead and maybe behind a little and to camera left just a bit.

Just looks at the direction of the shadows and the follow that back to where the light position will have been.

3. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thanks guys

4. dtornabene1

dtornabene1 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

It is overhead, but to camera left. (sorry for the repeat Mike, I was writing while you were posting) There is most likely black reflectors being used to stop additional lighting. Think opposite of silver reflector.

Chris,

I think I can really help you here. I have about 12 books on nude lighting and two stand out for you. First is Lighting for Nude Photography by Rod Ashfor, published by RotoVision, the revised edition, copyright 2007 ISBN 978-2-940378-31-9. Specifically the section entitled, flash: one light.

The second is an all around masterpiece of lighting. Lighting The Nude Top photography professionals share their secrets. Also published by RotoVision, copyright 2006, Hicks, Roger, Schultz, Frances, et al. ISBN 978-2-940378-10-4, specifically chapter 17, Striking A Pose.

These two will tell you everything you will ever want to know.

O.K., why do I have this collection. The answer is quite simple. Since the earliest of times people have be intrigued by the human form. From the Greeks and Romans, we get statues upon statues of nudes.’

It is the human body’s perfection we wish to capture. It is this perfection that is so difficult to capture. Many professionals have made a great living by making this look easy. Shooting the nude is not easy. It takes time, patients, and a lot of trial and error.

These books should get you were you want to go. Good luck and I personally think its great for both of you. Just remember, when photographing a significant other, always show the final product after you have ran its’ paces via pp. Trim lines, smooth out edges, and remove blemishes.

-Nick

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009