Can someone explain something (56k advisory)

Battou

TPF junkie!
Reaction score
Website
www.photo-lucidity.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I apologise for the image size, I forgot to resize them and and PB's resize is inconsistant due to file sizes. I will correct this after work and get them edited in ASAP.

Can someone explain why the lab decided all four of these frames where not worth printing. The techs at the lab that handles the sendouts from the closest place that provides the service are seriously getting on my nerves with this crap. Not only did I get a little over half of the images from the roll I sent, it took an entire week to process.

Original scan-----------------------------------------------Magenta removed and inverted

scan0040_1_1.jpg
scan0040_2_1.jpg

the individual frames
scan00404.jpg

scan00403.jpg

scan00402.jpg

#13 seen here
scan00401.jpg

Yes, frame ten is my error and poorly exposed but all four images dumped, WTF

Any professional lab techs or private processors have some insight into this?

Well, I am neither a professional lab tech nor a private processor, so I am at an equal loss as you are to tell you the possible reason why they did not print ANY of the four frames here. The first went wrong, as you are saying yourself, but at least the last of the three remaining ones COULD have been put onto paper!

And you still need to explain to me how you could scan these on a normal flatbed scanner!?!?!?!?

Demand what you paid for! When I took a roll of lightning photos in I got back about 10 totally blank frames, 10 completely underexposed and lacking contrast, 2 normal photos, and 2 shots of actual lightning.

Next time you don't get 24 or 36 images tell them to print it again. After all you pay when you pickup right?

Demand what you paid for! When I took a roll of lightning photos in I got back about 10 totally blank frames, 10 completely underexposed and lacking contrast, 2 normal photos, and 2 shots of actual lightning.

Next time you don't get 24 or 36 images tell them to print it again. After all you pay when you pickup right?

Yes, but they burrow them selves deep with the safty of a loop hole, only charging for individual prints (IE I get sixteen prints of twenty four exposure roll I pay for sixteen prints) How ever if this continues I will be taking my film else where. I currently have two rolls of film out to them, one due in tomorrow and the other the next day, as I am alredy pissed about the full week delay on the ones due to me tomorrow if they are damaged in any way or show continued failure to print all usable frames, I will be giving a final and very abrupt notice to do it right or they won't get my business. And yes I have recieved damaged prints due to bad handaling somewhere along the lines, Likely the dilivery guy they use as I watched him litterally toss the shipping bag in the counter followed by the tossing the days shipment of film rolls into a cart one morning.

Have you asked to specifically talk to the lab rats and ask them why they passed on these?

But you are right about if you are not satisfied with this place, it may be time to take your business elsewhere... do that only after you try to find out why things are not going your way... and if you do decide, don't have any qualms about telling them that their service sucks and that you are going to another place.

All four frames have been punched with print notches. Frame 10 looks printable, by the way. BW400CN has lots of 'overexposure' latitude. The comparison of the graininesss and tonality of 10 with the rest would be interesting.

I have no idea why they weren't printed. How many frames in total had print notches and weren't printed? Is there anybody you could talk to? It sounds like you need to find another lab, or start to do it yourself.

Good luck,
Helen

Have you asked to specifically talk to the lab rats and ask them why they passed on these?

But you are right about if you are not satisfied with this place, it may be time to take your business elsewhere... do that only after you try to find out why things are not going your way... and if you do decide, don't have any qualms about telling them that their service sucks and that you are going to another place.
Actually no, at the time I had gotten these I had alredy committed to a dedicated scanner so I figured I would see what was up after scanning them on there and if nothing I could see I's send them for reprints, but now that the scanner is taking it's sweet old time to arrive I am beginning to regret that decision.

it's not that I don't have any qualms telling them to screw off, I have bigger qualms about allowing this to continue.

All four frames have been punched with print notches. Frame 10 looks printable, by the way. BW400CN has lots of 'overexposure' latitude. The comparison of the graininesss and tonality of 10 with the rest would be interesting.

I have no idea why they weren't printed. How many frames in total had print notches and weren't printed? Is there anybody you could talk to? It sounds like you need to find another lab, or start to do it yourself.

Good luck,
Helen

If memory serves me correctly they all are punched. I'd have to check, I don't have the negs with me at the moment. Do you know wether or not BW400CN is pre-notched, I don't. I don't even know if companies are still doing that due to inaccuracy issues that it can create but....

If and when I need to I can have the person at the desk punch them up on the phone, the people there know me rather well.

And yeah, I came to the same conclution on ten as well given some of the crap they printed before, that was far worse, I have a great shot of nothing but lensflare (somehow) that they did print.

Labs sometimes make decisions for "you" to save you money on frames and sometimes they make bad decisions. I agree that the frames in question were totally printable but just to take the lab side a little sometimes people shoot such no image junk and demand a refund when they see the crap they shot that they might be doing this to avoid that. That being said I think they went way overboard on this one.

I don't know of any 35 m film that is pre-notched, and it must be at least eight years since I last used a lab that put notches in. Thinking about it more, I guess that some machines notch all identifiable frames, not just those that are to be printed, so forget that idea.

Can't you just tell them to print every frame?

Best,
Helen

Good luck,
Helen

If and when I need to I can have the person at the desk punch them up on the phone, the people there know me rather well.

I did not even have to ask, when my prints did not come in this morning as I had been told, one of the managers was on the phone seconds after I walked in the door. Something tells me they may be on their last legs with Rite Aid as well.

Labs sometimes make decisions for "you" to save you money on frames and sometimes they make bad decisions. I agree that the frames in question were totally printable but just to take the lab side a little sometimes people shoot such no image junk and demand a refund when they see the crap they shot that they might be doing this to avoid that. That being said I think they went way overboard on this one.

They have been making a lot of wrong decisions, It's part of why I committed a full quarter of my monthly paycheck to get a dedicated scanner and killed my budget, I have lost count of how many intentionally underexposed images they refused to print or attempted to "compensate" with. I know I have atleast a couple dozen. I also have countless improperly cut negs and prints, and I have one where they for some reason printed a loading exposed section of film. I could go on for hours on all the rookie mistakes these guys are making but this has thrown me over the top.

I don't know of any 35 m film that is pre-notched, and it must be at least eight years since I last used a lab that put notches in. Thinking about it more, I guess that some machines notch all identifiable frames, not just those that are to be printed, so forget that idea.

I could be wrong but, judging by the camera loading end of the neg, I do believe it is pre-notched, It has two notches where there are no frames. I haven't loaded a roll of this in nearly a month so I could not remember if I had seen them or not. On my Fuji negs there is never a set if notches in the end of the roll. If it where a case of the machine doing it automatically it'd be done to the Fuji I use too, but next time I load a roll of this I will make sure to look, or I could have them one houred witch dose not notch at all, to be certain, but any who.

Can't you just tell them to print every frame?

Best,
Helen
I just may have to start doing that, thought there is no section to specifically ask I could make some room on the form, Big orange sticker maybee.

Or maybee your previous suggestion of setting up my own processing, I would need one hell of a refresher course and some new lessons but...

well here is what a quick neg scan of #13 gives, there is no reason for this to have been dumped.(not that we havent alreddy reached this conclusion but....)

sword_2_2_2.jpg

Most reactions

Back