Can someone help me compare these two lenses?

I agree with Keith. If size is your main concern, then a digital SLR isn't for you. Try either a compact (some come with 5X zooms now) or a high-zoom P&S (10x zoom or more). The quality won't quite match a DSLR, but they're much smaller and easier to carry.

Also, if you still get the Olympus, check that they have absolutely all the lenses which you think "ooh, that looks nice" to. It's not a very well-known brand, and although there are a few own-brand and third-party lenses for the four-thirds system, there are not nearly as much as Nikon, Canon or Pentax.

I agree with Keith. If size is your main concern, then a digital SLR isn't for you. Try either a compact...
I don't agree at all. Oh well.

There are super short barrel length lenses for other manufacturers too though so I wouldn't base the body decision on a possibly false assumption that Olympus is the only one to have one. Actually Pentax came out with a series that seems to be just for people like Andrew. Check it out:

70mm.lg.jpg

Image Courtesy Of Pentax Imaging - smc P-DA 70mm F2.4 Limited About $500

DA%2021mm.lg.jpg

Image Courtesy Of Pentax Imaging - smc P-DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited About $500

40mm.lg.jpg

Image Courtesy Of Pentax Imaging - smc P-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited About $400

Get what you want to get. Then you'll be happy with it!

Last edited:
DSLRs are still many times larger than compacts. If size, to the point of needing it to fit into a pocket is the main concern, then yes a compact is for them. If they can deal with not being able to stuff it in a pocket, then the DSLR with a small lens is an option. But... then again, that would mean that size wasn't the main concern after all.

I have a pancake lens for my Nikon F3. With it in place that fits in a coat pocket very easily! There are several DSLRs that are smaller than the F3 so we can make that "super easy" to fit in a coat pocket for them. You might be able to stuff one into a shirt pocket but I wouldn't try it. My F3 (with that lens on) will fit in the vest pockets of all of my suits. You're just not thinking outside the box is all.

The K200D is 5.2 x 3.7 x 2.9 inches with that pancake lens on. My wallet is honestly larger than that - though not quite 2.9 inches thick. The body weighs in at 24oz with batteries and all. The pancake lens adds just about nothing. I think you can get the K200D for about $600 too.

With one of those lenses on, I'm sorry but it's a pocket camera and a DSLR. I'm sure other manufacturers have small offerings too. :p

Last edited:
I do agree with you, Bifuricator, that there are plenty of "compact" DSLR bodies and lenses that mean you can fit one into a coat pocket, but I certainly didn't buy my D40 because it was small :p. I bought it because of its image quality and complete control over... well, everything. I have a compact that can fit into my jeans' pockets for stuff where I need something small.

If the OP was smart, he'd look at the over all cost. Sure it's a cheap buy if you're not planning to buy any other lenses ever, but Olympus's lenses are expensive. To get anything close to the equivalent 10-22mm UWA range that you find on the 1.5 and 1.6 crop cameras, you have to spend like $1500, compared to something like the Canon 10-22 that's about $600

Olympus 35-100 f/2 = $2100
All the other brands have options that are cheaper, with some some what comparable lenses only costing $500.

Hey VI who would you guess has the overall cheapest/best lens offerings?

And will someone buy reg a coat!?!?! :D Poor guy... :p

Hey VI who would you guess has the overall cheapest/best lens offerings?

And will someone buy reg a coat!?!?! :D Poor guy... :p

It depends on what you want. Olympus might not be bad as you can get a kit covering 28mm-300mm for pretty cheap, but pro options are pretty limited. If you want to go FF with quality lenses, Canon is the way to go at the moment because you can get used 5D's for practically $1500.

It's just good to let a person know what they're looking at spending down the line if they don't toss the camera off to the side in a year.

Most reactions

Back