Can someone here repair my D40??

wmflyfisher

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey people.

I dropped my D40 the other night from about 4 feet and now it won't focus when I hold the button half way down. I can hear it struggling to focus but nothing happens and I'm getting th "E" icon. Would it be best to send it back to Nikon or what? Will they look at it before they charge me?? Any help would be great.

Have you tried another lens? The body doesn't have a focus motor built into it so if it's a sound you hear while trying to focus, it's probably the lens. Not gonna be worth the fix, pick up a used 18-55 from Adorama or B&H for less.

Thanks Sherman. I have not tried another lens. I only have this one. Maybe I can try one at a shop here in town just to test it.

There are no in-body mechanics that would be functioning while your autofocusing, so it's definitely your lens. Have you tried to snap any pics with it? I'd remove the lens and make sure the focus mirror is still intact too.

Just messed with it some and realized that the front round metal piece near the front glass on the lens is bent. Figured thats what hit first. Started fooling with it and "adjusting" it back and forth and it finally works! I haven't looked at the pics but it seems to be functioning ok now. We shall see. Thanks again.

There are no in-body mechanics that would be functioning while your autofocusing, so it's definitely your lens. Have you tried to snap any pics with it? I'd remove the lens and make sure the focus mirror is still intact too.

I agree with Sherman Banks that it is probably the lens that was damaged. Besides checking the mirror, also make sure that the card is ok. Any images that you had on the card are probably fouled up now. I'm not sure if having such a bump permanently damages the cards, but it is something you should check before using it again.

forgive me for trying to fly over your heads but wouuldnt putting the lens in manual focus and snapping quickly decipher the problem?

if its flashing e its most likely has to do with the contacts between the lens and the body
doesnt necessarily have anything to do with the motor itself

forgive me for trying to fly over your heads but wouuldnt putting the lens in manual focus and snapping quickly decipher the problem?

Nothing was accomplished, so there is nothing to forgive.
:roll:

so you dont think what adam pointed out was a fairly obvious first step? and rather helpful for those experiencing this issue in the future?

Last edited:
Read the thread... it sounds like he got it working to me.

Just messed with it some and realized that the front round metal piece near the front glass on the lens is bent. Figured thats what hit first. Started fooling with it and "adjusting" it back and forth and it finally works! I haven't looked at the pics but it seems to be functioning ok now. We shall see. Thanks again.

Nothing was accomplished, so there is nothing to forgive.
:roll:

so you dont think what adam pointed out was a fairly obvious first step?

The OP was worried about auto focus. Adams asinine comment only helps if the OP just wanted to know if the camera was able to take pictures without auto focus.

true that the issue was with autofocus, but still a good way to rule out issue with lens vs. body. :thumbup:

glad the issue was solved though! i would weep if i thought i broke something after dropping it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back