Can the focus be saved on this picture of my family's dog?

Ben1989

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all.

Went to the beach today with all the family and I finally got a good pose from Grover.

However, as you can see the focus is out of whack. Are there methods to save this in PS or LR? The image is unaltered in RAW at the moment

Cheers

Not really. A shot is either in focus or it's not. It could be sharpened a bit and that might help, but focus correction is not a post process function.

No but it doesn't look bad. I just keep photos that don't turn out well but I want to keep anyway smaller sized - no enlargements of those.

Draw a selection around the unfocused area. Hit the Sharpen command, then go to Filter>Fade Sharpen, and reduce to 40%. Make a new selection, very similar to the original, and repeat. Do this a grand total of three times, or four times. Then, down-size the final image to about 1600 pixels wide and apply an overall Unsharp Mask that yiou think is appropriate. I have done this many times. The key is working on the big file, and fading the sharpening after each pass,and down-sizing the final file,and then sharpening that.

This is not a perfect method, but on a furry animal, it will work reasonably well,especially if the final image is down-sized.

As above ^ and its not that bad really. Especially for a family dog pirtrait

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

While you're at it, lighten the shot a bit overall, and lighten the shadows even a bit more.

Thanks guys! The picture is the unaltered RAW jpeg :)

Thanks guys! The picture is the unaltered RAW jpeg :)

It's either RAW or it's JPEG, but it can't be both (unless your camera was set to record both file types, then you'd have two files).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took the RAW and saved it directly to jpeg so Dropbox would accept it :)

Then it's a jpeg. You can't see raw files - they are not images, only raw data.

Camera: Nikon D3200
Lens: AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
Shot at 46 mm
Exposure: Manual exposure, 1/50 sec, f/7.1, ISO 200
Flash: none

You may also want to learn more about faster Shutter Speeds
and learn about the Focus Mode and Area settings.

I don't have PS, so I can't do the sharpening that was outlined above, but I fooled with it a bit to lighten it anyway. And I straightened it and re-cropped it.

So here:

DSC_1480 - Version 2.jpg

doggy by TOM STRAIGHT, on Flickr

First, I created a canvas on PS which is a bit wider than the original. I copied a portion of the left side and added it to the to the left side placing the dog to the right looking left. I sharpened everything to 150% and adjusted the levels to brighten it all up. Very cute doggy.

Attachments

• Family Dog corrected a bit.jpg
    Family Dog corrected a bit.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
DSC_1480.jpg

Try Nik Collection.

The image is unaltered in RAW at the moment
A Raw file can't be posted on the Internet as an image.
Each Raw file has an embedded JPEG Basic thumbnail, mainly so there is something to show on the rear LCD of the camera that made the photo.

You posted an 824 x 639 pixel JPEG that has a file size of 147 kb.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back